Join now - be part of our community!

Second RAM-slot?

surtevall
Visitor

Second RAM-slot?

Hi boys & girls!

Yesterday I bought 2 new DDR333 512 MB of RAM to enhance my VAIO experience. But, my problem is that I can only find one of the memory slots?!

Then I heard from someone that the second slot is under the keybord? But I can't lift it because it's stuck! I've found the 3 "locks" and unlocked them, but still there is something holding it....

Can someone please explain what I might do wrong, and how do I solve this?

I've got a VAIO VGN-A197VP

Thanks

ciao
Figo

27 REPLIES 27
surtevall
Visitor

Yeah 2 slots, but I just found 1?! That's the problem 😞

ciao
Figo

theFOX
Visitor

Hey,

I don't think there is more than 2 RAM slot man.

theFOX
Visitor

Yeah 2 slots, but I just found 1?! That's the problem 😞

ciao
Figo

yeah, this is the one where u can put the extra RAM.
You are not supposed to change the RAM that already exists in the other slot which is hidden somewhere else.

The Maximum RAM size that your laptop can have is 1024 MB so just put one of the 512 RAM in the slot u found and dont upgrade anymore RAMs.

Source:
Your laptop tech spec

I suggest you return the second RAM :slight_smile:

good luck :slight_smile:

FranzH
Visitor

Is the second ram slot that empty hole under the keyboard on teh left? I found then when i took off the keyboard, and if it is the RAM thingy how much does it cost to get one?

surtevall
Visitor

hmm. Are you sure? Kingston states that my computer can take 2 GB. And it says that it has to slots. One that i found and as you said one hidden :slight_smile: But, it also says that I can change it from a 256 MB (standard) to a 512 if i want to!

hehe

surtevall
Visitor

How did you get under the keybord? I've tried for like an hour now!!

ciao

FranzH
Visitor

Same, i found a manual to open the keyboard ill pust the link if i find it but theres 3 screws at the back to unscrew. Then behind the NumLK button theres like a clib also behind the F5 key, you push thoes in and then the keyboard SHOULD lift up but it didnt for me. The manual said to puch somthing through the screw holes to push the keyboard up which did work. It sceems like its still stuck down but i think thats because there was stiky things holding it down. Be careful when you lift the keyboard because the wire could come out and youll need to put that back in which can be a bit of a pain!

Ill look for the link:smileygrin:

FranzH
Visitor

Wheres the other ram slot? :thinking: I cant find that one

FranzH
Visitor

Isn't that the one i foudn when i took the keyboard off? or is there 2 under the keyboard? im confused