Join now - be part of our community!

Sky+ to Vaio

murdock1
Visitor

Sky+ to Vaio

Hi everyone, I need to pick your brains, I have an AR21S and would like to know the best way to hook it up to my Sky+ box (I don’t know if it makes any difference but the Sky+ box is a UK version) to record from it. I have tried just plugging in the Coaxial cable into the socket in the Vaio but the quality was not that good, anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
:thinking:

11 REPLIES 11
Vas
Visitor

I have tried just plugging in the Coaxial cable into the socket in the Vaio but the quality was not that good
Thanks

This is what I thought, beacuse the AR21 has got very high resolution, so when you try to view it in full screen you may find the picture is not that acceptable.
I have never connected a sky box to coaxial (RF) so I won't be able to tell.

I am sure there must be another way to connect (with another device) to your Vaio. I am afraid I don't have the answer, I hope someone in CV can help you.

profile.country.en_.title
@0264405400002079
Visitor

Hi murdock1, im am trying to do the same thing as you with my ar21s, i tried using composite connections and tuned in the media centre to it, quality was much better than coaxial (tried it too and was rubbish as you said) and recorded some stuff from sky one etc. Lets hope there is more info from other CV members. :smileygrin:

Vas
Visitor

Hi lurchbt what connection did you use on the AR?

murdock1
Visitor

Hi lurchbt, Thanks for input, what are composite connections and where do they plug in? :thinking:

Dekesh
Visitor

If your sky box has an s-video connection then you can use and s-video lead and connec the sky box the s-video in on the side of the laptop. if not then you can use a scart to s-video cable where the scart end is connected to the sky box and the s-video is connected to the laptop.

murdock1
Visitor

Hi Dekeshi,
Thanks for your suggestion I have been in touch with sky and they say that the s-video on the back of the sky+ box is not connected to anything and the s-video dose not carry sound.
Thanks,
Murdock

@0264405400002079
Visitor

Hi again, Vas, i connected a composite cable(has a type of jack plug that resembles a headfone connection and has 3 A/V connectors at other end, yellow for video and a red and white one for audio left and right) to the right side of the Ar21s(beside firewire connection) The 3 A/V cables connect to the back of the sky+ box and the other to the vaio.Media Centre has then to be set up in add new channells section. :slight_smile:

murdock1
Visitor

Thanks I will give it a go.
Murdock

@0264405400002079
Visitor

Murdock1, any luck with your ar21s and sky+ box.