Join now - be part of our community!

Slow, slow FE11S

nunodc
Visitor

Slow, slow FE11S

Hi guys,

I have purchased my FE11S a few days ago, but found it extremely slow.. the XP loading screen stays up for ages, then I finally get to the "welcome" screen.. the computer stops for about 1m, making no sound as if it's loading, or anything..

Then it continues loading, and the wallpaper appears.. then it stops loading again for another 2m, until it finally starts everything..

at first I thought it was because of all the pre-installed applications, but I have disabled 90% of them from auto-loading at the beginning, and nothing..

It also takes a long time to shutdown, and to hibernate.

I have defragmented the drive, the memory use is low, and really have no idea on what it could be..

This is my 1st vaio laptop, so maybe it's me doing something wrong, but don't think so.. I thought of reinstalling XP, but this has been happening since I first got it, so..

Any thoughts, suggestions?.. I've heard Norton causes a lot of slowing-down, but surely that can't be it, right?..

Any help would be more than welcome!..
Thanks so much!..

9 REPLIES 9
sweetCoffee
Visitor

Yesterday I installed my norton ghost on my FE11-M and to be honest ... it's much slower now, I think it's always scanning scanning and scanning

same for norton antivirus (perhaps mc afee too... ?)

I have mc Afee and I'm gonna deinstall these programs and try the laptop for speed... because after reinstalling xp pro with drivers etc it's VERY quick !

nunodc
Visitor

Thank you for your reply.

I have just finished uninstalling all the Norton stuff, and the simple restart was a lot faster.. I am just a bit stunned on how it could affect performance so much..

It's still not perfect, but much better!..

Thanks, once again!..

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yes, Norton AntiVirus and Internet Security really slow down VAIOs.

Also do away with VAIO Entertainment if you don't use ti

russ8s
Visitor

BIOS update on sony update.

To be honest i'm not impressed 100% with my fe11s, though have got it to a satisfactory standard.

getting an annoying internal clunking right now.

ocatarineta
Visitor

I've reinstalled a clean XP-Pro (I needed NT domain connection) and now it is EXTREMELY faster. And I'm not using Norton Antivirus and Internet Security, of course.
Anyway, I'm thinking about a 2gb ram upgrade (I use graphic applications and premiere), and a faster hd. If you read on latest Tom'shardware review, our 160gb disk is not recomended at all because of it's extreme slowliness...

nunodc
Visitor

Getting rid of all the Norton stuff was indeed a major boost to the speed, but I am not exactly pleased with the fact that I have to reinstall XP and whatnot in order to get it to work to "full speed".. shouldn't it be optimised to work properly since getting out of the factory?.. i find that a bit odd.. :neutral:

But well, I guess I'll give it a try, eventually...

I am sure the HD also contributes to it, but to be honest in this case I'd rather have the 160, even if it not being 5400rpm...

Thanks!..

kee-lo_

Is it a SATA drive?

ocatarineta
Visitor

Is it a SATA drive?

Yes

kee-lo_

You should be able to get a 7200RPM drive, but it will probably hold less