Hello my question is can I upgrade the cpu in my laptop sve1512m1ew

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi wayne0909 and welcome.

In theory you can upgrade to any Ivy-Bridge processor that fits into a G2 socket but to make any appreciable gain, you would have to move to an i7 quad core processor which would roughly double the CPU performance.

However, this would likely consume about 40% more power and cause overheating problems.  Overheating tolerances in Vaios are not great and your model was designed around the Intel Core i5-3210M it was sold with.

Also, it makes no financial sense as an Intel Core i7-3630QM quad core processor would cost £250 and only give the same integrated HD4000 graphics as you have now.

Probably the best thing you can do is max out the RAM by increasing it to 8GB and sticking with the existing processor.

:wink:

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi wayne0909 and welcome.

In theory you can upgrade to any Ivy-Bridge processor that fits into a G2 socket but to make any appreciable gain, you would have to move to an i7 quad core processor which would roughly double the CPU performance.

However, this would likely consume about 40% more power and cause overheating problems.  Overheating tolerances in Vaios are not great and your model was designed around the Intel Core i5-3210M it was sold with.

Also, it makes no financial sense as an Intel Core i7-3630QM quad core processor would cost £250 and only give the same integrated HD4000 graphics as you have now.

Probably the best thing you can do is max out the RAM by increasing it to 8GB and sticking with the existing processor.

:wink: