Join now - be part of our community!

Sony SZ1VP erratic behaviour

ajayb
Visitor

Sony SZ1VP erratic behaviour

Hi there,

I've been using the above for a while and it was generally ok. Recently, however, the machine would freeze quite often (programs would begin to go to Not Responding) and generally become quite sluggish.
Recently, and more annoyingly, after startup you can click on any application and nothing happens. You can do this repeatedly but nothing will load but after a couple of mins all the programmes fire up and then the machine is fine.
I've tried pulling out the extra memory I installed as well as checking for viruses / spyware but no joy.
Any ideas?!?!

Thanks,

Ajay

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
isluwai
Visitor

sorry vgh fs

skykit84
New

Hi Ajay
welcome to the forums

Whenever someone comes to me with problems such as this, I say one thing.... format!
I always find a clean start just gives the machine a nice springclean and its back to its cheery fast and responsive self.

if this is not a viable option then you need to break it down.
Firstly, have you tried to run something like SiSoftSandra to to benchmark your ram/cpu? See if they are ok and matches what its supposed to be

also, do you have things running in the background that are hogging your resources? hit ctrl+alt+del, sort it by memory ... whats taking up the most and how much? same thing with CPU... is there something continously taking up your CPU ?

When do you have these application issues? Are you only having them once a bootup? from my understanding is that you have these issues, then later once its past its "slow stage" you're back to normal and can function fine

do remember your harddisk is most likely 5400 (if not 4200) rpm which makes a huge difference in response times... i changed mine to 7200 and could almost match the response times to my desktop pc.

how much ram do you have by the way?
Is this being taken up as mentioned above?

A

steve_parkes
Visitor

Format is way over the top for this problem. Just disable auto update in control panel system and reboot

ajayb
Visitor

Hi Akash,

I was considering formatting the machine but I was under the impression that not all the drivers, etc were available to download for the SZ series. If they are, however, I may well do this.

I did run Sandra a while back and all was fine. Yes, once the machine has gone through its slow phase then everything is ok but I find this a bit annoying!

The biggest memory hog is SVCHOST which takes up about 24mb. All the other apps take up about 1% of the CPU.

I have 2gb of ram (SZ1VP).

Thanks for your help Akash.

ajayb
Visitor

Hi all,

Just a quickie, I've reformatted my machine and so far everything seems a lot quicker! Just a couple of Qs though...

1) When accessing the built in camera I was able to change brightness, etc but can't seem to do that now (I've installed all the Sony apps and Utils)

2) Within My Computer the Memory Stick icon is missing, any ideas how this can be fixed?

Apart from that I managed to install all the relevant drivers (so far any ways!!)

Thanks for your help guys,

Ajay

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ajayb,

I can't answer 1) I'm afraid but have a look at this thread for an answer to 2)

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ajayb
Visitor

Rich912,

That's brilliant, thank you very much. One other question to ask if I may 😉 . . . For some reason I can't get access to the hibernate feature any more (although it has been enabled in my control panel settings), any ideas why?

It is nice to have a clean system but it's a bit of an effort to get all these drivers, etc back and working!

Ajay