Join now - be part of our community!

sony sz2xpc inverted mouse?!?

jcollins43
Visitor

sony sz2xpc inverted mouse?!?

Guys, i've got a virtually new sz2xpc and about a week ago the mouse has become inverted, i.e. move my finger up and the mouse goes down. i've used the recover discs, i.e. wiped the os in case i had a virus but no luck.

i feel like i've done everything and now i'm thinking it's hardware, has anyone ever heard anything like this or can help?

thx, jas

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi jas and welcome to Club Vaio.

Have you played any games on your Vaio? Many games give the option in 'Mouse Settings' to 'Invert Mouse Y' as a lot of games, in particular Flight Simulators, are easier to play with the mouse inverted along the Y axis.

However, I would have expected a Recovery to fix it.

I suspect there will be a Registry Setting for this or a setting in the Alps Driver software but I am on a Desktop at the moment and can't find the Registry Key. I will have a look on my Laptop for you tomorrow - unless anyone else can help first!

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi jas and welcome to the forum.

I have a feeling that this is driver related rather than hardware, although I must admit that I haven’t encountered this particular problem before.

Have a look in Device Manager, under Mice and Other Pointing Devices – Do you have a PS/2 pointing device listed or, as I suspect a PS/2 mouse?

If this is the case right click the PS/2 mouse and select update driver.

On the next window, select Install from a list or specific location (advanced) and click next

On the following window select 'Don't search I will choose the driver to install' and click next.

Hopefully you will then see the correct touchpad listed (I am uncertain as to which touchpad your model uses but will check this out and add to the post as and when) – select this and click Next. After the correct drivers are installed you may be prompted to re-boot the system.

Edit: It's an Alps Pointing device

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jcollins43
Visitor

thx for the help. well, you were right...uninstall did the trick. still don't understand how a full restore could not have fixed the problem but as it works i'll run with it.

thx again, jas

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi jas,

I'm pleased to hear that that the mouse is now behaving:smileyhappy:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jcollins43
Visitor

i don't believe it...it's back. after about 5-6 reboots it's just started doing it again...i'm pulling my hair out. just tried the old uninstall driver but no joy...it's got to go back as something strange is going on.

the full story: thought i'd install vista rc1 after doing a fully recovery and un/reinstalling mouse driver which looked like it worked. i thought while the machine is clean i'll try rc1, worked fine...until 3rd or 4th reboot then inverted. windows rc1 has no other s/w installed. it really must be hardware right?

thx, jas

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi jas,

As promised, I have looked through the Registry but cannot find a parameter to invert the touchpad. There are parameters for absolutely everything else - some of which I have never heard of!!

I think I would uninstall the Alps software and download a fresh version. It is available from several places like THIS ONE or perhaps a bit safer (but an older version) from SONY USA DOWNLOADS

:wink:

EDIT: Make sure you uninstall the Alps software as the download is both the drivers and the Control Utility.

:wink:

jcollins43
Visitor

finally got a chance to sit down and have another look...i tried the drivers but still no luck.

just updated the bios and now it's managed 2 reboots with inverting the mouse. still early days but fingers x'd...

thx for the help,
jas

jcollins43
Visitor

nope, done it again after 6 reboots. just off to get the sledge hammer...