Join now - be part of our community!

Sony SZ71VNX - laptop wont boot up just plays dead

profile.country.en_GB.title
peshyxp
Visitor

Sony SZ71VNX - laptop wont boot up just plays dead

Sony SZ71VNX (out of warranty) doesnt boot up. I tried clean instal of Vista Business but it initially kept freezing half way through installation.

Then had to keep halting process by switching off and continue install, never got it to properly install, now when i turn on nothing happens, it wont boot up even when i place Vista disc in dvd drive.

You can hear it trying to boot up ie whirring noise as dvd spins but nothing happens and screen is black, it wont even let me access Bios using F2 key or recovery F10.

The battery light comes on, and the green on light shows but the light showing the hard drive spinning doesn't come on, I've checked the memory modules they seem ok, however laptop refuses to boot up.

Any one have any idea what the fault is? Could it be some hardware issue ie hard drive failure. Any thoughts really appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It sounds like you originally had a hard disc problem which needs a replacement but it appears you have some additional problems now.

Check that it is not just the screen not working by connecting an external monitor and seeing if the boot splash screen appears and allows you into the BIOS.  You could also try shining a torch onto the screen and seeing if there is an image without the backlight.   If you cannot access the BIOS then you probably have a motherboard fault and will need to consult an engineer.

:thinking:

peshyxp
Visitor

Checked the screen by hooking laptop to an external monitor and still nothing appears on monitor

Could this mean that the graphics card has also developed a problem to go along with possible hard drive and motherboard issue?

The power, battery and bluetooth indicator lights are all on but as mentioned laptop doesnt boot up

I cant access the bios now and tried previously pulling out one of the memory modules to check if it wasnt this that was causing the problem

Could i have "spiked" the motherboard by doing this and hence caused the motherboard issue as well??

In a real pickle as to what precise fault is and couple approved Sony repairs in London have quoted in excess of £200 for motherboard related issues

What to do?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It sounds like the main problem now is that the Vaio will not 'POST' - probably due to a flat CMOS battery or a corrupted BIOS Chip.

It does sound like a new CMOS chip is needed or it needs re-flashing but this is a job for an engineer and will probably cost the figure you have been quoted.

You have to make a decision because there may be other work required after this - like a hard drive.  It is a nice laptop and would cost you over £1,000 to buy a replacement but you have to draw the line somewhere.

:cry:

peshyxp
Visitor

Update

Took the laptop to Queensway Computer Market nr Notting Hill in London. There were plenty of laptop repair kiosks there (20+) and diagnosed pretty much the same thing

Nvidia graphics on board chip failure

This was a common fault and caused by overheating and design fault with the chip

I believe Sony have admitted this is a problem for certain models AR / FZ amongst others but didnt see any mention of SZ model.

Sony are extending free repair if purchased from authorised retailer ithin past 4 years

Any one of the technicians aptly named Soni said he had done plenty of these repairs and would charge £100 to replace the onboard chip w a two month warranty

Compare this to quotes from approved Sony repairers who wanted £200+

Anyway will keep everyone updated since the chip has to be ordered specifically for my laptop and will take a week or so

I would thoroughly recommend anyone who lives in London and has a problem with their Sony to head over there (Queensway tube station is right next door) since the knowledge pool there is fantastic and they are all a friendly bunch of chaps more than willing diagnose a fault w/o any charge