Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio Duo13 (SVD1321M2EW) poor wifi

deejohnny

Sony Vaio Duo13 (SVD1321M2EW) poor wifi

Hi i'm Currently having issues with the wifi in my vaio duo 13 (SVD1321M2EW) the wifi recepion is so poor i can hardly get 3 bars and lucky to get 20Mbsdownload speed, my surface rt in the same room picks up full bars and nearly 150Mbs!!!!! also the connection randomly drops to nothing leaving me with no connection!.I know this is a new machine but this is very poor for a machine that costs nearly £1.5k and getting out gunned by a rt device, even the built in vodaphone modem can pick up full bars from a mast god knows were but the vaio cant even connect to a router in the room below.anyone else having problems?

41 REPLIES 41
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi deejohnny.

I have seen a number of similar reports.  I think the best thing to do is to log a ticket with Sony Support so they realise there may be a problem.

To check it is not a Firewall issue, can you tell us which Internet Security software you are using?  If you are not using the preinstalled McAfee software, can you confirm that you have removed it using the Removal Tool MCPR.EXE as a firewall conflict is possible.

:thinking:

deejohnny

Hi thanks for the reply,I'm using the built in windows defender I don't have McAfee as I performed a clean install to try and rectify the problem and just installed all the drivers from the support sight.will request a ticket thx
deejohnny

Hi how do you log a ticket?
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I've just noticed there is an updated driver for the Wireless LAN for your model dated 3 July.  Have you installed this?

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVD1321C5E/downloads/EP0000301660_8841

deejohnny

Thx but the new drivers have no effect still poor reception getting more drop outs now i will have to take back to the shop ot happy

slacey1
New

I too am very unhappy with this. I received my first Duo 13, 3 weeks ago and Sony took this back because of the problem. I had to wait until today for the replacement, and it has exactly the same problem!!! I have the 4G option and coverage on 3G/4G is good. I think this may be some kind of design issue with the antenna for wi-fi. It is such an issue I cannot believe Sony have missed this in BASIC testing. This one's going back aswell now.........

emmanuelkeyz
Explorer

I'm stunned by this wifi issue. I barely get 1mb (max of about 4mb) download speed and on my other devices (tablets, phones, old laptops etc) I get between 50-75mb download speed!!!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi everyone.

It seems a few users have reported this problem.

This problem has been escalated to Sony and we wil let you know any information we get back from them.

Sony are aware.

deejohnny

Whoo,Just recieved a email from sony saying a new wireless lan driver will be released shortly to fix this problem,only thing is vaio updater not working just keeps saying "You have arrived at this page because VAIO Update does not recognize your VAIO.This may be a temporary problem with the VAIO Update server" So if the driver does appear could somone bump this thread with a link to the new driver thx.