Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio Duo13 (SVD1321M2EW) poor wifi

deejohnny

Sony Vaio Duo13 (SVD1321M2EW) poor wifi

Hi i'm Currently having issues with the wifi in my vaio duo 13 (SVD1321M2EW) the wifi recepion is so poor i can hardly get 3 bars and lucky to get 20Mbsdownload speed, my surface rt in the same room picks up full bars and nearly 150Mbs!!!!! also the connection randomly drops to nothing leaving me with no connection!.I know this is a new machine but this is very poor for a machine that costs nearly £1.5k and getting out gunned by a rt device, even the built in vodaphone modem can pick up full bars from a mast god knows were but the vaio cant even connect to a router in the room below.anyone else having problems?

41 REPLIES 41
lyj704
Explorer

Have the same problem. I am ready to return it to the shop now...

I wonder is there anyone who does not have the wifi problem?

For me it is really terrible to use unless the router is within 3 meters away from the laptop.

deejohnny

I recommend you Return it if you can then keep tabs on this thread to see if the new drivers they told me would be released to fix this problem actually works then you can re-purchase. for me its absolute dire I can't even watch YouTube videos because of how poor the WiFi is
pasq05
Explorer

Does anyone know if the wifi issue has been resolved?

I have ordered one and since found out about the wifi issue, so very concerned.

I have tried phoning Sony support but not that helpful as they did not know about the issue.

Looking forward to your replies

deejohnny

Nope still the same even tho i had a email from sony claiming they were ready to release a driver to fix this problem nothings been released and they dont even know when it will drop,so makes me think they talking rubbish.And sony support do know of the problem because nearly every person who was purchaesd this machine is suffering from this wifi problem even the sony vaio pro users were suffering the same wifi issues.

pasq05
Explorer

Hi deejohnny,

Thank you for your reply.

Does not sound very promising. I am wondering whether to keep my order going and hope it is fixed by the time it arrives which is around the 29th or cancel it and lose the memory deal.

Are you happy with the machine other than the wifi?

Stellar30
Explorer

I hope they fix the updater and release the driver soon. If they keep leaving it then people who have recently purchased may lose their 30 day return. Which I hope is not a reason Sony are (purposefully?) delaying.

deejohnny

Its hard to answer yes i love the machine but because i use mainly for internet it becomes very infurating when the internet constanly drops which then makes me hate the machine, ive given up watching online videos anything above 144p on youtube sends the wifi into buffering zone.As the guy says above i do think sonys claim to have a fix is just a delay to get us past the 30 day return policy,its been nearly 3weeks since i recieved my email and still nothing.

rooty.toot87
Explorer

Hi everyone. I've been watching this thread for a while and see there isstill no fix for the duo 13's wifi issue. I've had mine since the end of july and am in love with the machine itself but the wifi issue is causing a majorityof problems. It's highly frustrating and I do hope they fix it sooner rather then later though. Other then the wifi has anyone found any other cons with this model yet?
SHumayun
Explorer

There was a new wifi driver released on 21st August but it has not solved my problem. My vaio (pro 13 rather than duo) is going back to Sony next week. I've asked for a replacement but wish I'd just got a refund as I've subsequently read these:

This is from the US forum

http://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-Hardware-Networking/New-Sony-Vaio-Pro-Wifi-Issue/td-p/143557

I have tried the final fix on p33 and it doesn't work.

Also this is much more worrying:

http://www.neowin.net/news/intels-wi-fi-adapters-connectivity-issues-plague-users

It would appear that the problem may not about the vaio but rather about the intel wifi card it uses, which is shared by another of other ultrabooks. Can't believe intel hasn't sorted this and that the likes of Sony aren't all up their business over it. Looks like I might be reverting back to my ipad with keyboard dock for a while. 

So disappointed.

emmanuelkeyz
Explorer

Hey everyone!!! I finally found a solution to the WIFI issue!!!! I'm soooo chuffed about it!!! Previously I was getting an average of 1.5mb download speeds but after applying the solution i'm now getting about 60mb download speeds!!! 

Basically all I did was to got to the control panel and uninstall McAfee and restarted my duo 13 then I started getting the speeds I orginially expected :grin: