Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VGN-B1VP Laptop - Upgrade Hard Drive?

gwilson
Visitor

Sony Vaio VGN-B1VP Laptop - Upgrade Hard Drive?

Hi

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-B1VP laptop (40GB HDD). I want to replace the hard drive as it is now too small. I have been told that you cannot replace the hard drive on these models as they are "hard wired" to the motherboard?

I don't believe that is true?

Can anyone tell me if they have done this on a VGN-B1VP before?

Wouldnt have thought it would be that difficult!

Thanks

Gordon

4 REPLIES 4
condrix
Visitor

Best way is to open the harddrive bay and check it :slight_smile: I changed 2 weeks ago on my FR215H: 4 small crews from the frame, pull back a bit and lift it out. Swapped the frame to the new one, placed in the drive bay, pushed into place, screw back and install XP Pro from CD.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I find that hard to believe that they're hard wired, but with Sony anything is possible

The only thing you can do is look inside and see if it's soldered on, I really don't think it is.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-B1VP laptop (40GB HDD). I want to replace the hard drive as it is now too small. I have been told that you cannot replace the hard drive on these models as they are "hard wired" to the motherboard?

No, that is not the case. The hard disk can be removed from any Sony Vaio B1-Series laptop very quickly, without opening the case.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gwilson
Visitor

Thanks very much for your advice 🙂

Gordon