Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VGN-FS515B Keyboard not recognised on boot up

FarukE
Visitor

Sony Vaio VGN-FS515B Keyboard not recognised on boot up

Hi People my Vaio laptop will not recognise the keyboard on boot up (past the sony splash screen)

Pressing:
F2 - to boot into bios will not work
F8 - to load advance boot up options for XP, ie safe mode won't load
F10 - to restore sony's factory default won't load
Pressing any key to boot from cd won't work
Arrow keys do not work when the advance menu appears (after pulling the power when windows is loading) therefore unable to select "Safe Mode"

The funny thing is the keyboard works when windows XP (sp3) boots up.

I have also updated the BIOS to R0044J2 and it's still the same.

It does occationally accept the commands but maybe after about 50 tries. Is the MOBO gone?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi FarukE.

Sounds like the BIOS is not recognising keyboard input - it is only when the windows driver loads that it becomes useable. What messages did you get when you flashed the update to R0044J2. Is the clock keeping good time ?(dud CMOS Battery?)

It is my guess is that you may need to have the BIOS chip reflashed or replaced.

:thinking:

FarukE
Visitor

Thanks for the advise Blencogo.

The time was ok and there were no error messages when updating BIOS... just that it was successfull...but I had the same issues before flashing. I can try flashing with the latest update again (R0044J2)?

The Bios chip is on the mobo isn't it? So to replace the chip I'll have to replace the mobo?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It is probably not cost effective to replace the CMOS chip or replace the motherboard. You can try reflashing the BIOS but if the new version is installed it won't let you do it again.

A new BIOSed CTO Motherboard will cost you £350 for an exchange unit plus shipping. Fitting would cost the same again unless you can do it yourself.

If it was my FS515B I would just continue to use it as it is (OK in Windows) until something goes wrong and then decide if a new notebook is better value than a new mobo.

:thinking:

FarukE
Visitor

Thanks Blencogo for your advice.

Looks like I may have to buy a new one as it's developed Disk problems problems.