Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VPCEJ1Z1E - How to access the BIOS?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
reguma
Explorer

Sony Vaio VPCEJ1Z1E - How to access the BIOS?

Hey gang,

How do I access the BIOS?  I have tried multiple key combinations from F1, F2, F8, F10, F11, Esc, Del.  Maybe I am not pressing it quick enough.  I cannot see any key combination stated on the screen to know what to press.  I need to check of there is an hardware acceleration/virtualization setting and if so enable it.  I am trying to use VirtualBox to setup a VM.

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
reguma
Explorer

Turns out when the machine is shutdown I had to press F2 while pressing ASSIST which immediately goes into the BIOS.  There was indication of this on the screen and sites that I looked at did not give a clear enough indication rather suggesting I press ASSIST which launches the Windows tool and then pressing F2 which forme wasn't an option.  Going by another reply here this suggests that this may be Windows version specific.  This PC is running Win 10 Home.  All done and BIOS is updated. At least I know now.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Key combinations? You don't press only F2?
profile.country.GB.title
reguma
Explorer

Like I said, I have tried pressing F2 or F1 or Del or any of the other keys I have mentioned.  None of them have launched the BIOS.  I have tried pressing the relevant key for all the different BIOS variations I have dealt with which is why I asked the question having never dealt with a Vaio.  Does this model use a different key and if so, what is it?  Normally there is a brief mention on the screen of what key to press, but I can;t see it.

Any ideas?

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Recently I can access to the BIOS by keep pressed F2 an not by a multiple press...

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi reguma and welcome.

If you are using Windows 7, pressing F2 repeatedly when the Vaio logo first pops up should open BIOS Setup.

If repeatedly tapping F2 when the first black Vaio logo screen appears does not work try this:-

With the Vaio shut down and turned off completely:

Press and hold the ASSIST button above the keyboard until Vaio Care Rescue Mode loads

With the Arrow keys, navigate to highlight 'Start BIOS Setup F2'

Press 'ENTER'

BIOS.png

This is usually for Windows 8+ models only but worth a try.

profile.country.GB.title
reguma
Explorer

Thanks, I'll try this.  While searching I did see a couple of sites mention this, but at no point did they mention to shut down first.

profile.country.GB.title
reguma
Explorer

Turns out when the machine is shutdown I had to press F2 while pressing ASSIST which immediately goes into the BIOS.  There was indication of this on the screen and sites that I looked at did not give a clear enough indication rather suggesting I press ASSIST which launches the Windows tool and then pressing F2 which forme wasn't an option.  Going by another reply here this suggests that this may be Windows version specific.  This PC is running Win 10 Home.  All done and BIOS is updated. At least I know now.