Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VPCF23S1E camera not working after upgrading to Windows 8

profile.country.en_GB.title
bigbwoy
Visitor

Sony Vaio VPCF23S1E camera not working after upgrading to Windows 8

Hi guys!

I have upgraded my Vaio to Windows 8 after having a preinstalled Windows 7. The problem is I can't manage to make the webcam work. I have reinstalled the drivers for Wi-Fi, Sound, Synaptics Pointing Device etc from Windows 7 but camera drivers are still a problem. Please help!

27 REPLIES 27
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi bigbwoy and welcome.

Sony have provided a full set of Windows 8 drivers for your model here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCF23S1E_B/updates

The camera uses generic Windows drivers but you need to install the firmware update for the camera (at the bottom of the list).

:wink:

bigbwoy
Visitor

Thanks a lot but when I try to launch the .exe I have an error saying "It failed in the enumeration of the device."

bigbwoy
Visitor

Has anyone any idea why?

Wonky60
New

Hi,

Ihave the exact same problem with my VPCF23Z1E any assistance would be great, downloaded update and got the enumeration error, guess I am lucky my camera did not get trashed as well.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I'll flag the problem up to Sony.  We MAY get an answer.

Is there any chance it could already been installed?

Did you use the Sony Upgrade Kit?

:thinking:

bigbwoy
Visitor

I guess that if it have already been installed the camera would work. I reckon that it worked when I first accessed the camera from Windows8 dashboard withouth the need of installing the camera drivers but after installing some other components like Dolby Home Theatre or Wi-Fi or bluetooth (which is still not working), the camera is not recognized anymore. But I didn't install any other software or drivers linked to the camera or Vaio Care or anything else.

I've also noticed that the Sony Upgrade Kit is not supported by my laptop...

Message was edited by: bigbwoy

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry, i think it is VPCF24 models onwards.

Let's see if we get any help.

bigbwoy
Visitor

Thank you very much! I also have an error "USB device not recognized. The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognized it."

I don't know if this is concerned in a way or another to the webcam because the only usb device I have is the mouse receiver which is working well.

I also can't map a network drive anymore after upgrading to Windows 8. The error is now: "An unexpected error occurred" after having this error: ""The mapped network  drive could not be created because..... an extended error has occurred"

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The camera is a USB device so it is probably that.

It is interesting that it worked initially.  We saw several problems with Windows 7 where Microsoft Updates killed the webcam.  Also we saw instances of the security software blocking the camera.

There is one thing you can try.  Remove the power cord, remove the battery and then hold down the Start button for 30 seconds.  Leave the Vaio for 15 minutes and then reconnect the battery and start up.  This removes static from the motherboard and can help restore USB Devices.

If that doesn't work you could try uninstalling all the USB Controllers in Device Manager and then reboot to refresh the driver installation.  However, I am just clutching at straws.

Anyone else got any ideas?