Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio Webcam not working.?

RubyRae
Visitor

Sony Vaio Webcam not working.?

Hi can anyone help me?

I just bought a new sony vaio VGN-AR31s and i can not seem to get the webcam working.
I am trying to use Microsoft messanger and for some reason my laptop thinks that the camera is already being used by another program and wont let me use video chat.
I have no other applications open so i know the camera is not being used by another program.
Does anyone know how i can test my inbuilt webcam?

Thanks
Kristy

14 REPLIES 14
wziebart
Visitor

I have the same problem with this product, the camara also not working with Skype.

Wolfgang

PNVS
Visitor

Me too,

I have tried most obvious things but still no good.

It keeps refering to being in use with other programe.

Any help any one

Thanks

My PC is VAIO LA Series 2

The_Alv
Visitor

Many of us have had that problem; try updating Drivers and software (specially Vaio Camera Utility) at: http://www.vaio-link.com/downloads/select/select.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&

If it still doesn't work, contact e-Support at: https://e-support.vaio-link.com/eSupport/PortalJSP/Portal.jsp

Problem Solved? :smileygrin:

If even so it doesn't work, disable "NVIDIA Media Center Library" Service from start-up with msconfig (If you don't know how, just ask :wink: )

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Kristy, Wolfgang & PNVS

Welcome to Club vaio.. :slight_smile:

Have you installed the VAIO Camera Capture Utility update Version : 2.2.01.04100 from here , then downloaded and installed the Microsoft Camera Hotfix KB931812 (I've attached this file below)

PNVS
Visitor

It worked!

Thanks for the help

PNVS :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

It worked!

Thanks for the help

PNVS :slight_smile:

:cool: You're welcome..

healan
Visitor

Hi, I have a problem with my LA1. Messenger recognises the camera but Skype doesn't. I tried the links you posted earlier, however, they don't work for me.

The_Alv
Visitor

Hummm... Are you working on both at the same time? Because I think you can only have one application at a time using the camera. However, if not, does it happen in the same session?, I mean, if you use it on Messenger, it works, but if you close it, and then go to Skype, it doesn't work? Or is it after a restart for example?

I'm saying this because even if I follow the steps I've told you all, the problem only loosened it's grip, as it still happens, but not so often; I tried installing the latest version, but the installer initializes, but then, suddendly dissapears, and there's no trace of it running. I've tried in safe mode (same problem), and even unzipping the installer and doing it from there (what it did was actually uninstall the camera).

I'm sending Vaio to repair for the overheat as you told me Thalamus, but should I do a "Oh!, and by the way, could you fix this minor problem? :smileygrin: " ?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I'm sending Vaio to repair for the overheat as you told me Thalamus, but should I do a "Oh!, and by the way, could you fix this minor problem?  :smileygrin:  " ?

Hi The_Alv

You have nothing to loose from asking.. :wink:

As far as I'm aware the VAIO Camera Capture Utility is a silent installer, it does the uninstallation in the background and when running the installer a the second time does the installation in the background. you can check if you have the correct version is installed by going to Start > Program Files >Sony >VAIO Camera Capture Utility > version.txt .