Join now - be part of our community!

SVP1321m2eb not turning on, all lights on

rach_f
New

SVP1321m2eb not turning on, all lights on

My laptop is now not turning on at all even though the lights are on.  It started only turning on when it was plugged into power. Then that stopped and it was ok for a while.  It then turned off but with lights working and 24 hours later was OK again.  Last week it wouldn't turn on even when plugged in. And it hasn't turned on again since.  But the red/green light works.  And the backlight sometimes comes on.  The caps lock light works as well.

I have taken it to get fixed but they can't fix it.  I have had nothing but trouble with this computer - the wifi card is damaged and now this.  Please someone help!

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi rach_f,

As you have taken this machine for repair and they were unable to help I am not sure what we, as a community, at distance, can do. Did the repairer tell you what the problem is?  If not it may be worth seeking another opinion.

If all else fails there is always Sony to turn to but my guess is that this will not be cheap as a new motherboard may be needed..

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
rach_f
New

Thanks for your reply Rich.  I am overseas for work at the moment so I don't know how much the guys repairing know.  They told me they can't fix it but I don't know if they tried any more than trying to turn it on!  They are not familiar with this particular computer or maybe all Sony computers.

I have done my own research online and this isn't an uncommon problem - and apart from taking it to a Sony repair place which I am not able to do at the moment, I was thinking someone here might have had the same problem and fixed it themselves.  It's definitely more than the screen as it doesn't work with an external one.

I am worried that it is the motherboard - the guys here are not confident to reball it.

I wanted to love this computer but I have had nothing but problems with it!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi rach_f,

From what you describe I don't think that this is a home fix, and I too suspect a motherboard problem which, if so, may cost more than the value of the machine.

Finding a competent repairer can be difficult and depending on your location could be impossible. I, not too long ago, took a notebook to a local company in the UK that claimed to be repairers and explained all the measures I had taken to try to rectify the problem. Returned the following day to collect only to be told that the checks they had made only replicated what I had done and they charged me £20 for the privilege - needless to say I will not be using this company again.  

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat