Join now - be part of our community!

SZ2XP upgrade to Vista

mels
Visitor

SZ2XP upgrade to Vista

Hi,

I uninstalled XP and installed my brand new and shiny Vista Pro edition on my laptop. Everything runs ok as far as basic things are concerned but none of the following things work now :

- webcam
- hotkeys (sound, light, ...)
- battery management
- biometric tool
- and so on

I went to the download section of the site and downloaded all drivers and such, but for XP, there's nothing Vista related there, at least for my SZ2XP.
I tried to install but most of them still don't work, others cause errors.

Is there a download place I'm missing somewhere ? Because I can't imagine that there are no Vista drivers ready for a laptop labelled "vista capable"....

Thanks a looooot for your help,

Melanie.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mels

Welcome to Club Vaio, :slight_smile:

I would guess that as Sony release the new drivers, etc they will appear in the Drivers and Updates section..

mels
Visitor

Hello Thalamus and thank you for both you welcome and fast reply :smileyblush:

Am I correct to assume that so far there are no drivers for Vista except for the Audio card one ? Do you have an idea of an approx. release date ?

How about the various utilities that come with Vaios, are there out or do we need to wait a bit more ?

Oh and one last question. As you know Vaios come with preinstalled apps. I had for exemple Adobe's Photoshop Elements and Acrobat Elements, but even with my restore CDs I can't seem to reinstall them. Help ?!

Thanks for your input,

Mels

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mel,

Please see this link for further information on Vista drivers etc.. :slight_smile:

Indy89
Visitor

Can you install these drivers and utility updates for Vista before installing or does it have to be after installing Vista?

awillson
Visitor

most likely you would install drivers afta vista has been installed.

Looking at that link; Thalamus posted, my model is not on their. VGN-BX2 i have, although it doesent have the vista "free" upgrade option, it can handle vista (without aero). Any idea where i will be able to get my drivers from? or is my laptop just not support, which would be a disappointed as i only purchased it in august.

Im giving vista a thought, to me the upgrade seems to be just a GUI improvment on XP. Including the whole security bs. Although i atually have not tried it yet.

Indy89
Visitor

Thanks for reply.

Best thing if you are interested in Vista and want to know about drivers is first download the upgrade advisor if you havnt already done so and check to see what it says about any software probs you might have. Also ring Sony see what they say about your laptop.