Join now - be part of our community!

SZ3 and bitlocker

jmreilly
Visitor

SZ3 and bitlocker

I cannot for the life in me get this to work!
Have installed vista ultimate and has worked a dream once i got all the drivers from http://www.vaio-link.com/downloads/os/vista/upgrade.html.
Now bitlocker does not want to install one little bit!
Tells me that the system boot info has changed since bitlocker was enabled.

Anybody got any ideas?

Jamie

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Jamie and welcome to Club Vaio.

I think you have to create a boot partiton of 1.5 GB when installing Vista.

Does THIS GUIDE help?

:thinking:

maishan
New

Possibly clear the TPM through the BIOS menu when you turn on your laptop?

staffanu
Visitor

Just want to say "me too"... I have Vista Ultimate installed, and have a 1.8 GB active boot partition. The computer always says that the boot configuration has changed after turning BitLocker on. I've tried this on both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Vista, with the Vista built-in drivers for the TPM, and with the ones from Sony's web site (actually, I've tried the latter only in the 32 bit version of Vista).

Anyone got this working?

Staffan

jmreilly
Visitor

i have followed the ms instructions to the letter. As staffanu has done have tried every concievable driver variation.
Maybe there is something amiss with the bios?

GCParris
Visitor

I'd just like to add the same comments really. I have an SZ1 running VISTA ultimate edition. I have all the latest Sony drivers installed, I have 1.5GB boot partition, a 30GB system partition and a 70GB data partition, everything is working perfectly except for BitLocker which comes up with the message that the system has changed since last boot.

I did get it to work once however it required me to insert a USB key everytime and it didn't use the TPM chipset so it really wasn't the solution I wanted.

Anyone got this working yet?

P996
Visitor

I'd just like to add the same comments really. I have an SZ1 running VISTA ultimate edition. I have all the latest Sony drivers installed, I have 1.5GB boot partition, a 30GB system partition and a 70GB data partition, everything is working perfectly except for BitLocker which comes up with the message that the system has changed since last boot.

I did get it to work once however it required me to insert a USB key everytime and it didn't use the TPM chipset so it really wasn't the solution I wanted.

Anyone got this working yet?

Welcome to the "Club", I just made the same experience with my Vaio G11VN, a machine I paid almost 2800 Euro for. :devil: I get the feeling that Sony never tested Bitlocker on their machines since apparently a lot of people on the internet, mostly VAIO users, have the same problem. I should have sticked to my business laptop, a HP nc2400 with Core Duo and 2 GB RAM. Bitlocker works like a charm from day one of availability of the Vista drivers/utilities, incl. TPM 1.2 and the finger print sensor.

Very pathetic for Sony.

P996
Visitor

Hi Jamie and welcome to Club Vaio.

I think you have to create a boot partiton of 1.5 GB when installing Vista.

Does THIS GUIDE help?

Does somebody of the "Club Vaio Experts" have actually a Sony Vaio laptop running with Bitlocker enabled, using TPM 1.2 and the finger print sensor? Just curious because I HIGHLY DOUBT it. :zipper_mouth:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi P996

Does somebody of the "Club Vaio Experts" have actually a Sony Vaio laptop running with Bitlocker enabled, using TPM 1.2 and the finger print sensor? Just curious because I HIGHLY DOUBT it.

I doubt it too P996. This is just a forum for mutual help where all the contributors (including the experts) are just Vaio users (like you) but who are prepared to give their own time to try and help fellow Vaio users. None of us work for Sony. Please do not confuse this Forum for the official Sony support channel. If a fellow user can help you then they will - if we are unable to help then you must register your fault with the official Sony Vaio-Link Support.

Incidentally, does this only affect those who have upgraded to Vista Ultimate? Did Bitlocker work with the supported operating system for your laptop, Vista Business? Does anyone have a Vaio bought with Vista Business installed and does Bitlocker work?

P996
Visitor

Hi P996
Incidentally, does this only affect those who have upgraded to Vista Ultimate? Did Bitlocker work with the supported operating system for your laptop, Vista Business? Does anyone have a Vaio bought with Vista Business installed and does Bitlocker work?

First I want to express my gratitude for the "volunteers" who are trying to help people here, even if they don't work for Sony and/or are paid by Sony. Don't get me wrong.

BUT: if people want to offer support and help, they need to know the products and operating systems used with the products, at least this is my opinion. We're running a car forum too and if I wouldn't drive some of the cars discussed in the forum myself, I wouldn't be much of a help I guess. :wink:

Your question actually proves my "point" actually pretty well since it is a well known fact that only Vista Ultimate and Enterprise have Bitlocker on board. :wink:

Anyway: I think the problem lies with the communication between the Infineon TPM Software, the Protector Suite Software and the BIOS, incl. the TPM chip of course. There seems to be some sort of compatibility problem but I can't really pinpoint it, I'm afraid.

I decided to re-install Vista Ultimate completely new from scratch, deleting the recovery partition too (I made a backup of the recovery media). This time I won't use Bitlocker, I decided to wait until Sony sorts out the problems and offers a BIOS/utilities update, whatever. However: Sony has to be aware that they're selling expensive laptops, mainly targetting customers with certain expectations. Sony can't offer a fingerprint sensor and a TPM 1.2 chip in their laptops without fully supporting Bitlocker. This doesn't make any sense and if Sony doesn't fix it fast, word gets around and a lot of potential customers will avoid these laptops.

I know, Sony sells their Vaio laptops with Vista Business BUT since they also add a "Anytime Upgrade" DVD with their laptops, customers can expect a fully functional Vista Ultimate operation too, including full Bitlocker compatibility.