Join now - be part of our community!

T2XP fan failure

RseanV
Visitor

T2XP fan failure

Newbie here!

My T2XP is getting very hot and I think it's because the CPU fan has failed.

Some interesting noises coming from inside, but I can't be 100% certain that it's not the HDD making the noise.

I've tried turning the fan speed settings up and down to see if I can change the noise but to no avail - makes me think it is the fan that's died.

Anyone tried changing one of these fans? Is it easy to get to?

Many thanks,

Seán.

24 REPLIES 24
profile.country.de_DE.title
itbroker
Visitor

I would like to suggest to send the computer to be repaired. I think that is the best solution... :smileygrin: The computer still on warranty ?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Seán,

welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

What is the normal running temperature of your Vaio..?

If you're unsure PCWizard is a handy application to check your Vaio’s temperature. To download use the following link: PC Wizard

If your vaio is getting hot you may need to first try clearing the cooling vents of dust with compressed air (you should be able to get this from your local PC shop), holding the can upright give the vents a short blast from a distance of approx. 10cm if you hold the can to close you could damage the fan..

If you do not notice any improvement then your vaio may need to be disassembled in order to deep clean the fan and cooling vents.

RseanV
Visitor

Thalamus,

Thanks for that. I've downloaded and run PCWizard and it shows the HDD temperature is 39C (Don't know if that is normal or not).

I gave the fan a blast of air(butane) last week, to no avail.

I've also had the keyboard out today and brush away some dust off the fan. It still turns but I didn't want to run the machine in pieces in case I managed to wreck it with static, so I've not actually seen the fan turn under power.

I can't think of anything else to try, so does anyone know a repair shop either in SW France or SE UK?

Thanks again,

Seán.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I've downloaded and run PCWizard and it shows the HDD temperature is 39C (Don't know if that is normal or not).

Hi Seán,

what temperatures are reported by PCWizard for the Processor and Graphics (GPU) .?

itbroker
Visitor

First, try the following solution (which does not apply to every VAIO model):

1. Restart your VAIO.
2. Press F2, when you see the Sony Logo.
3. In the BIOS, select Power with the arrow keys.
4. Select Thermal Control Strategy and press ENTER.
5. Select Silence.
6. Press F10 and then ENTER to save the changes and exit.

If the above option is not available in the BIOS:

1. Right-click the Powerpanel icon in the system tray.
2. Click Edit/Create Profiles, then double-click Thermal Control Strategy-Performance.
3. Change the settings to Quiet.

About your question...

I can't think of anything else to try, so does anyone know a repair shop either in SW France or SE UK?

You will find the best way to repair your Sony Vaio in United Kingdom / France / ... here...

RseanV
Visitor

Thalamus,
There are no other temperature indicator apart from the HDD.
The 'Voltage, Temperature and Fans' button gives the following data:

Hardware Monitoring :
Voltage CPU :0.81 V
Battery :7.66 V
:
Hard Disk Monitoring :S.M.A.R.T
Hard Disk Temperature HTC426060G9AT00 :42 °C

itbroker,

Thanks for that. I've tried disable the fan via power settings, but it makes no difference to the sound = dead fan! If I can get hold of a fan, would it be easy to change? Laptop is nearly 3 years old, so I think it's out of warranty :cry: .

Thanks,

Seán.

itbroker
Visitor

RseanV,

Another possibility to see the temperature from your laptop (for FREE :smileygrin: ) is here...

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thalamus,
There are no other temperature indicator apart from the HDD.
The 'Voltage, Temperature and Fans' button gives the following data:

Strange.. :thinking:

You should see something like the image below..

I have sent you a guide, that should help if you want to open and investigate your Vaio, via a Private Message, use the following link to view your messages: Private Messages

RseanV
Visitor

itbroker,

Thanks for the link. SpeedFan can't see the CPU fan either, so I thin k it's the fan that died.

Seán.