Join now - be part of our community!

There's a cricket in my vaio

IanK
Visitor

There's a cricket in my vaio

Well, not literally. I just got my brand new A197VP, really pleased with it. However there's one annoying thing I've noticed - every 20 or 30 seconds, there's a quiet "chirping" noise (lasts for about 1/2 a second) that sounds *exactly* like a cricket chirp. It's accompanied by a very quiet mechanical clunk.

I can't figure out if it's the harddrive or the dvd drive doing it, or something else. The clunk noise sounds kind of like the hd heads parking, or the dvd laser assembly parking.

Is this a fault or a known problem? I'll be pretty hacked off if it's a fault - I just spent 3 days uninstalling all the junk that comes with it by default, so don't really want to return it.

Incidentally I tried to get e-support from vaiolink, but the system kept refusing my details... No idea what that's all about.

All help appreciated, thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Others have reported this so I guess it's normal from this series.
I guess it's the hard disk parking.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

It is the hard disk parking mechanism, it happens on all the new notebooks so don't worry about this...

It is a good thing but you will notice it more when the system is running a bit idle - like when you surf the internet for instance...

kee-lo_

The GRX does it around every minute when idle.

IanK
Visitor

Argh having trouble using this forum system :grin:

Anyway thanks for the help guys. Bit worrying if the heads are parking that often - more wear and tear on the drive. Anyway I'll check about to see if there's a hack to stop it.

TygerTyger
Visitor

eSupport usually doesn't work, you must call using the numbers @ www.vaio-link.com, where you will pay for what would have been free with eSupport, helping some Japanese guy somewhere buy that much more sushi.

magnumopus
Visitor

Argh having trouble using this forum system :grin:

Anyway thanks for the help guys. Bit worrying if the heads are parking that often - more wear and tear on the drive. Anyway I'll check about to see if there's a hack to stop it.

It's not something you should really stop unless your notebook is on something solid like a table, it's done to minimise the chance of the head crashing into the data storage area of the disc when it's on your lap or anything that can move, train, plane, car, etc. It does this to minimise that risk.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Anyway I'll check about to see if there's a hack to stop it.

There isn't... Its stored in the microcode of the disk logic (the controller chip on the IDE controller board) so only the manufacturer can stop it...

If you are concerned about your hard disk, then get Lavalys Everest Home Edition and check the SMART statistics on a regular basis... If the values deteriorate, then you have ammuntion to fire at Sony when you request support.

It's not something you should really stop unless your notebook is on something solid like a table, it's done to stop the head crahing into the data storage part of the disc when it's on your lap or anything that can move, train, plane, car, etc. It does this to minimise that risk.

Very true and I agree 100%. My Hitachi TravelStar 80GN disk has an additional feature which uses the energy left in the spindle to emergency land the heads on a disk ramp during a total system failure. These are disk protective measures so relax - unless you see BSOD's relating to INPAGE_KERNEL_ERROR or SMART Detected A Critical Disk Failure: Disk Failure May Be Imminent messages - then thats bad news.:smileywink:

kee-lo_

I agree with magnumopus, it's not a bad thing at all.
Saves you loosing a lot of data.

IanK
Visitor

Fair enough (although I don't use my vaio on the move - it's essentially a desktop replacement, especially at 3.9kg :slight_smile: ), although I'm still convinced there shouldn't be this chirping noise. None of my other laptops make a sound when parking the heads.

Anyway I'll keep an eye on the SMART status. Incidentally I use Ontrack EasyRecovery for SMART tests and general HD work - great tool.

Thanks again.