Join now - be part of our community!

THREAT OF LEGAL ACTION FOR FAULTS!

nwcpn
Visitor

THREAT OF LEGAL ACTION FOR FAULTS!

About 5 years ago, Philips brought out a CD-R burner - sadly I bought one of them. There were so many problems with the machine (failed disks etc.) that a group of individuals in America took Philips to court and the judge ruled that everyone in the US who had bought the item were not only entitled to a refund, but to COMPENSATION as well.

The reason was because that
a) Philips refused to accept responsibility for the faulty design
b) There was a non-existant help line (no mass internet then)
c) Philips made not attempt to adapt their firmware to try to address the problems.

Sound familiar?

I too am getting the "whirring sound/high pitch whistle" when the unit is switched off. I souhnds very much like a capacitor of a flash gun. This in my opinion could possible be solved with new firmware/or a replacement unit by Sony.

What we need is someone to
a) find out the most appropriate e-mail address to complain to
b)produce a standard letter (MS Word file) that can be downloaded to complain
c) send off our complaints
d)when we receive no action - then forward our non-responses to a Consumer organisation/television company....

anyone agree ??????

regards

NWCPN

4 REPLIES 4
TygerTyger
Visitor

I think if you do a very well written letter, that refers specially to that case and hints in a non-threatening but clear way exactly what you are thinking then you should do ok just on your own. Sometimes companies do just that, keep the individual quiet in order to keep problems/complaint from becoming well known. If it doesn't work on your own then maybe it would be time afterwards to get some weight behind you.

Akanksha
Visitor

Well, I have been bringing this whole legal action thing since a long time, glad to find someone thinking along the same lines

For example the documentation on my PCV-V1(it used to be on the website) but I cannot access that page anymore, said I could write DVD- and DVD+, but I wasnt able to do that and on contacting e-support I was told that I couldnt because the drive doesnt support that, now this is a clear case of flase information act(if that's an act) but I am sure there is a point in this, enough to join the legal action group, right? :tongue:

nwcpn
Visitor

I dont want compensation

I dont want a refund

All I want is my VAIO to work -

I don't think that me complaining on my own is going to get the firmware re-written.

Akanksha
Visitor

well, you are not alone, In fact if you do a simple search here with keyword firmware update, you will find many people complaining about it too!