Join now - be part of our community!

Totally confused!

simrana
Visitor

Totally confused!

Hi All,

Recently my sister's VAIO died - apparently due to a faulty hard drive. Unfortunately I don't know the full details of what happened as I was just handed the 100% knackered end product, but the hard drive was definately ruined (it was completely full, which is not surprising as she was getting a lot of "Core Dump" errors before the laptop stopped working).

Anyway I got a new hard drive and installed it, with one of my own versions of XP Home - and it appeared to be working fine. I installed all the sony drivers, added Word and a few other software packages, got the internet working, and used it myself for a few days without any issues. However after less than 24 hours in her possession the blasted thing is broken again! To clarify, I really don't think it could've been my sister's fault, all she did was turn it on and do some work remotely over the net. Apparently it just turned itself off, and now will not load up normally, only in safe mode. I have gone in on safe mode and restored the laptop to an earlier date when it was working okay, but it still doesn't work - it starts up the Windows Logo screen and just stays on it. It does not load the operating system and does not give any errors.

can anyone give me any pointers on what the problem can be with this laptop?!

Thanks in advance,

Sim

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Sim,

If you can boot into Safe Mode then the HDD is OK and Windows is accessible.

Have you tried running these in Safe Mode:

FIXBOOT
CHKDSK
SFC /scannow
(takes 30 minutes to refresh all System files - not sure if it runs in Safe Mode though)

:thinking:

simrana
Visitor

Blencogo, I can always rely on you for a quick response! I've never heard of any of those things but I just tried running them all. CHKDSK was the only command that worked, the other two weren't recognised (I tried searching for them too in case they were file names, but they weren't to be found).

I've restarted the laptop and it's still just sticking on the Windows Logo loading screen.
Any more advice?!

Cheers,

Sim :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Sim,

My apologies - fixboot only works from the Recovery Console.

In safe mode choose Start -> Run -> and type CMD and Enter.
Type into the command window:

C:\windows\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

Exit and reboot. You should then be offered the option of the Recovery console at startup.

Log on with an administator password (or if you are using XP Home as Administrator with a blank password - just press enter).

Now try FIXBOOT and FIXMBR and reboot choosing to start windows normally at the Options Screen.

You will have to remove the Recovery Console option later if this works.

RECOVERY CONSOLE OVERVIEW

simrana
Visitor

Blencogo,

I tried to load up the recovery console but unfortunately it didn't work, I got the following error:-

"Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD"

What CD it is talking about I have NO IDEA!!!

Any other ideas? Also, do you have any ideas on what the underlying problem with the laptop might be? I'm worried that even if I get it up and running again it's going to break down again in a week like it did last time. Although this seems to be a software issue and not a hardware issue, surely it can't just be a coincidence that it broke again a week after being fixed?!

Hope to hear from you soon (and anyone else who might care to offer some useful advice!)

Sim

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Sim,

I still think this is a simple boot error as you can get into Windows in Safe Mode.

Check your Boot.ini in Safe Mode -> Explore-> C:\ and right-click on boot.ini and choose Open (Or Open with Notepad if it asks)

As you have replaced the hard disc, the original Sony boot.ini will not work as you no longer have a Recovery Partition. The Sony boot.ini points to Windows being in Partition 2 (Partition 1 is the Recovery Partition). With the Recovery Partition removed, Windows will now be located in Partition 1.

Make sure both entries in boot.ini point to Partition 1:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) \WINDOWS
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) \WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

If they are OK you will have to repair the other boot files by copying them from your recovery (or XP) disc:

Ntldr
Ntoskrnl.exe
Ntdetect.com

I suppose the only other way forward is to borrow a XP Pro disc and boot up with it in the drive. Follow the prompts to load the basic Windows files and when you see the 'Welcome to Setup' screen, press R to start the Recovery Console. Run FIXBOOT and FixMBR.

If all else fais you may have to reinstall Windows.

simrana
Visitor

Aah, that makes a lot of sense! One problem though - I can't find a boot.ini file anywhere! I've made sure hidden files are visible, and even done a search of the whole C:\ in case it was anywhere unexpected. Nada.

Could this be the problem or am I just doing something daft?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Oh dear!!!

That would explain everything if boot.ini has disappeared - are the other boot files there?

Ntldr
Ntdetect.com

They should be in the root of C:\

Make a boot.ini by opening Notepad and copying and pasting this in to it:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Save as C:\Boot.ini

Try and boot ???????

simrana
Visitor

Okay I was being daft - didn't realise there was a separate option to unhid system files! The boot.ini files matches what you said it should, I have the Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files too, but I don't have the Ntoskrnl.exe file. This is not on my XP installation disk either.

Could this be the reason that the boot isn't working? I noticed you did not re-mention this file in the last post...

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

No, Ntoskrnl.exe and Hal.dll should be in your Windows\System32 folder - my mistake.

Are you sure Windows is on Partiton 1?

I'm running out of ideas !!!!

:smileyd_oh: