Join now - be part of our community!

Transferring files from old to new laptop - Networking problem

kagyu
Visitor

Transferring files from old to new laptop - Networking problem

I seem to have spent two days on this now and would appreciate some more help!
Have tried to connect a new and an old Vaio laptop via a crossover ethernet cable. The new pings the old , the old can't ping the new. Have tried both switching off Firewalls and also leaving on with IP exceptions. The old one is running XP Professional, the new one XP Home. Neither one sees the other as a member of their workgroup.

I then tried setting them up as part of a cabled network via a router to another (Dell) laptop using the network setup wizard and a mini USB drive for the setup. This time the Dell could see both the Vaio's but they still could not see each other.

I then tried using the Dell to select a sample folder on old_Vaio and drop it onto into the My Docs folder on new_Vaio. No luck - problem with permissions. Go back to old_Vaio, and update all permissions on all files in My Docs and try again, but still with no success.

So, I probably need to solve the simple crossover connected network problem first and then the rest might(!) fall into place.

Grateful for any advice!

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi kagyu.

It's frustrating isn't it. With Home and Pro it seems to be pot luck if it works or not !!

I assume you have two IP addresses like 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2

1. First get identical accounts/passwords on both the XP Pro and XP Home PCs, such as 'Admin' with a password of 'Admin'.
2. Turn off simple file sharing. Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View. Scroll to the bottom and untick simple file sharing.
3. Ensure both machines are in the same workgroup, this is found by right-clicking My Computer on the desktop and choosing Properties then choose Computer Name then click change, by default XP Pro and XP Home use different workgroup names (Workgroup and MSHOME) for some obscure reason.
4. Share the folders you want access to by opening Explorer and right-click the folder or drive and choose sharing, follow the tabs.
5. Turn off all firewalls.
5. Reboot the PC's (XP Pro first) and pray!!

:pray:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi kagyu

Hope you don't mind but could you please keep your post on Transferring files from old to new laptop to the one thread as this would make it easier for other members to follow should they have the same problem.. :slight_smile:

See other thread here ..