Join now - be part of our community!

Trouble burning CD/DVD's & Fan is always on full

dan8125
Visitor

Trouble burning CD/DVD's & Fan is always on full

Hello.
No matter what CD or DVD burning program I use, discs will not burn past approximatley 60%; the only successful disc I have burned was an audio CD that was only 40min long, any others fail. As yet I have had no problems reading discs.

Also, after turning on my laptop, about a minute after Windows has loaded, the fan will turn on at what I think is full speed and stay on for however long I am using my laptop. Although the fan does not sound broken, the noise it makes whilst on is quite loud and is annoying to hear whenever my computer is on. The side of my laptop which the fan is on gets hot, but I wonder whether the reason it gets so hot is because of the continuous operation of the fan rather than the rest of the computer hardware.

The model is PCG-K315M (UK)
I've had it about 2.5 years
and I don't leave it on overnight or for long periods unattended.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Dan

Welcome to Club Vaio. :slight_smile:

What is the normal running temperature of your vaio..?

If your unsure, mobilemeter is a handy application to use.. :slight_smile:

If your vaio is getting hot you may need to first try clearing the cooling vents of dust with compressed air (you should be able to get this from your local PC shop), holding the can upright give the vents a short blast from a distance of approx. 10cm if you hold the can to close you could damage the fan..

If you do not notice any improvement then your vaio may need to be disassembled in order to deep clean the fan and cooling vents. :slight_frown:

dan8125
Visitor

Hi. Mobilemeter tells me the following info:
frequency; 2.96 ghz
temperature; 75.0 'C
charge rate; 0.07 w
HDD #0; 47.0 'C
(approx, obviously the values keep updating)

thanks for your help so far

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Dan,

Are the temperatures still rising..?

What is the normal average temperature when running your vaio in normal conditions and when working under load..?

dan8125
Visitor

Hi.
From turning on my laptop after being off for 4 hours, from hibernation, i recorded the following:

Normal Conditions.

start up temp (from hibernation): 55'C

Temperature within 3 minutes: 60'C

After another 3 minutes: 62'C / 63'C

Now with Windows media player playing music with visualizations whilst using PhotoPaint to add effects to a photograph.

After 3 minutes: 76'C

...then trying a few demanding programs at once until I annoy windows enough for it to show the 'low on virtual memory' dialogue

After a few minutes highest I saw was 78'C, but didn't really go above 76'C, see attached screenshot for other values.

Again, thank-you for helping me. I have also downloaded the 'local cooling' program you placed on your post.

Dan

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Dan,

The temperature that you have reported is high, as I said in my earlier post you need to first try clearing the cooling vents of dust with compressed air (you should be able to get this from your local PC shop), holding the can upright give the vents a short blast from a distance of approx. 10cm if you hold the can to close you could damage the fan..

If you do not notice any improvement then your vaio may need to be disassembled in order to deep clean the fan and cooling vents. :slight_frown:

Thanks for downloading Local cooling but I wouldn't install it until you have sorted the temperature problem.. :wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

That's very high for this time of year, I'd clear that dust out asap before summertime, or it'll only get worse.

dan8125
Visitor

Hi, i've cleaned my laptop with the compressed air and now the temperature is 57'C and the hard drive 27'C, whilst running a couple of programs. Is this temperature ok? Either way thanks for your help.

Dan