Join now - be part of our community!

Trouble Restarting Windows - with memory stick access light ?!

NSP
Visitor

Trouble Restarting Windows - with memory stick access light ?!

I think I'm posting this in the right place - but it could be software rather than hardware.

Over the last week or two my laptop (K115S) will not always boot up in windows: it gets so far and then defaults to a dos screen with options for safe mode, last good config, start normally etc but will often re-boot if I start up in safe mode turn off and restart.

The odd thing is that on the occasions it does this (wont boot) the access light for the inbuilt memory stick pro reader is on. I dont own any memory sticks and have never used this bit of the laptop which makes me think its hardware ?

if anyone can suggest what it might be, who I should contact etc for further support I'd be most grateful.

Note - I'm fully up to date with XP service packs and Zone alarm virus software and this is the first time I've had a problem with the laptop - but I'm also out of warranty - its 2 and a half years old.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

I would check the hard drive for errors -

Click Start - Run
Type cmd then click OK
type chkdsk c:/r
You will then be prompted to check the disk at the next startup, respond appropriately and restart the computer.

NSP
Visitor

thanks

I'll give it a shot tonight. If it does show an error - what do I do about it ? Is it easy / does it tell you what to do ? or should I take it to a pro ?