Join now - be part of our community!

TX1XRP/B will not even POST anymore

Pobman
Visitor

TX1XRP/B will not even POST anymore

I had my TX1XRP/B for 10 days now, worked fine until this morning. Was just browsing away and it BSD'ed on me. Went to a black screen with the power light on. I forced the unit off (holding down power key) and turned back on. It got part way in to running WinXP and BSDed again, tried safe mode same problem.

Left it a while turned it on again and it booted in to WinXP fine. Used it 15 minutes and BSD again. Now if you turn the unit on the power light comes on, the HD light comes on for 20 seconds and the CD drive buzzes twice and thats it. You dont get the Sony logo on the screen, dont get any chance enter bios, no beeps.. nothing.

After several hours trying to get through to Sony (I am in Moscow) finnally got the number for a service centre, however they quote at least 21 days just to get a report on whats wrong with it! Is this normal? Is there any other action I can take to get this unit working again as fast as possible?

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
Pobman
Visitor

OK laptop back. Ran memtest86 all morning and no problems.

However... laptop now only shows 103848K of memory or 1015mb

So have they just zapped 9mb of memory chips???

This seems VERY odd....

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Do you have a shared graphics card? This is usually why it's 8MB short

Pobman
Visitor

thats what they said.... except this laptop has 128mb dedicated graphics memory...