Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to connect to monitor using HDMI

profile.country.GB.title
johnarron
Explorer

Unable to connect to monitor using HDMI

I have a Sony Viao VPCZ139GG running the latest version of Windows 10. I can't connect to a monitor using HDMI. The Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor appears to have a fault (the icon shown in Device Manager has an asterisk through it) and attempts to find another driver through Microsoft say that my driver is the correct one. I have just updated to the latest Windows and the latest Display Adaptor has the same error. Is there another driver I can use, possibly via Sony? Putting my model number in directs me to the Sony Asia page where there doesn't appear to be any drivers. I would really appreciate some help here. Many thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @johnarron and welcome to the community,

I'm just looking into this for you and will come back to you shortly (unless another member of the community beats me to it of course!).

Cheers,

Cass

profile.country.GB.title
johnarron
Explorer

Thanks Cass. I had Microsoft looking into this for a few hours and they couldn't find a solution. They suggest that I try and contact Sony support in Asia to see if an up-to-date driver for Windows 10 is available for my machine. I'm not sure if it is supported though.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi @johnarron and welcome.

Hopefully Cass will be able to find some further advice as I am a bit out of date but your Vaio is a Sony Asia model and support is available from their website

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/product/vpcz139gg

The main problem with the VPCZ-Series Vaios is that they were sold with switchable graphics and this required a hybrid driver which can switch from nVidia for 'Speed' graphics and Intel HD for less demanding 'Stamina' graphics:-

http://www.nvidia.com/object/sony_VAIO_z.html

When Windows 8 was released no hybrid driver was forthcoming, so Sony recommended staying with Windows 7 Pro as they would be unable to support this model with switchable graphics drivers for Windows 8. The latest graphics driver released was in October 2010.

Perhaps Cass can advise if a current stand alone NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M driver which is compatible with Windows 10 can be used to solve your problem. I guess the installer .INF may need modification to allow installation.

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @johnarron,

I'm afraid I don't have too much else to add on from @Blencogo unfortunately (as he is much more knowledgeable in this area!).  You could try to use a driver from another model from the Z13 series (e.g. https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/laptop-pc-vpc-series/vpcz13a7e) or check the Sony Asia website as already mentioned.

Cheers,

Cass

profile.country.GB.title
johnarron
Explorer

Hi Cass,

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Very much appreciated. What did you think of Blencogo's suggestion regarding the NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M driver which is compatible with Windows 10. Can the installer be modified to allow installation on my Vaio? Thanks, John

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Apologies, I don't know the answer to that one I'm afraid John.

profile.country.GB.title
johnarron
Explorer

ok, thanks anyway

profile.country.GB.title
johnarron
Explorer

Hi Blencogo, Cass couldnt advise on your suggestion regarding the NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M driver which is compatible with Windows 10. How would you modify the installer .INF ? Thanks, John 

profile.country.GB.title
johnarron
Explorer

Hi Cass, do you think reinstalling Windows 7 might help? Thanks, John