Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to connect to monitor using HDMI

profile.country.GB.title
johnarron
Explorer

Unable to connect to monitor using HDMI

I have a Sony Viao VPCZ139GG running the latest version of Windows 10. I can't connect to a monitor using HDMI. The Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor appears to have a fault (the icon shown in Device Manager has an asterisk through it) and attempts to find another driver through Microsoft say that my driver is the correct one. I have just updated to the latest Windows and the latest Display Adaptor has the same error. Is there another driver I can use, possibly via Sony? Putting my model number in directs me to the Sony Asia page where there doesn't appear to be any drivers. I would really appreciate some help here. Many thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
johnarron
Explorer

Hi Blencogo, not sure if you saw my message to Cass, but would reinstalling Windows 7 resolve the problem. Thanks, John

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

@Blencogo - not sure if you've seen John's followup questions on this thread, so tagging you in this post just in case!

Hi John - Windows 7 may help, as Blencogo mentioned earlier:

When Windows 8 was released no hybrid driver was forthcoming, so Sony recommended staying with Windows 7 Pro as they would be unable to support this model with switchable graphics drivers for Windows 8. The latest graphics driver released was in October 2010.

profile.country.GB.title
johnarron
Explorer

Once again guys, thanks for your help. I shall try reverting back to W7. All the best

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry John, I have been away for a few days.

It is possible to install a Windows 10 nVidia driver but it will not install unless the installer is modified. Only drivers signed by Sony will install without modifying the .INF file and, understandably, Sony do not recommend what is a bit of a hack. However, as this is the only way to update, many try this way forward. You will have to Google for information on this and it will be at your own risk. By installing a single nVidia driver means that the on the fly switching from 'speed' to 'stamina' will be lost.

Most users of Z-Series Vaios continue to run Windows 7 as recommended by Sony - especially as it is not a touch screen laptop. The problem with this is that drivers such as the graphics driver are now very old and may not support some of the latest games. However, the size of the Z-Series is not conducive to gameplay and the drivers are OK for most other purposes but you may still run into problems with some newer graphics applications from providers like Adobe.

The choice is yours. Reinstalling Windows 7 Pro will be far easier if you have a set of original Recovery Discs which will reinstall all software, divers and utilities as well as Windows 7. If you do not have these discs, you will need to download all the original drivers from the Sony website. BUT some software is not available for download and only available on Recovery Media but as you don't have this now, it is unlikely you will miss it.

Good Luck!

profile.country.GB.title
johnarron
Explorer

Hi Blencogo, thanks for the detailer response. I tried the Nvidia route and went to modify the .inv files within the nvidia folder on my c drive. Unfortunately, I couldn't find details of my microsoft display adapter (in my case PCI(backslash)VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&SUBSYS_905A104D in any of the .inv files so I couldn't modify anything. So it appears that the only option is to reinstall Win7. But thanks anyway. John

profile.country.GB.title
johnarron
Explorer

Hi Blencogo. I now have a bit of a problem!!!

I managed to modify the .INF file in the Nvidia direstory as guided by a Techforum related to Nvidia (null-bin.blogspot.com/2015/08/how-to-modify-nvidia-notebook-driver.html). After disabling driver signature enforcement I reinstalled the Nvidia driver and had success. I then had to restart my Sony as per the installation instructions. Now the problem....after pressing the power button, thw Windows (still latest version of 10) logo comes on as too does the usual tune. But then I get a blank screen with some white dots going round in circles in the middle of the screen. It won't boot up. Do you have any suggestions - I am thinking of going into safe mode to disable the driver but can't get get into safe mode.

Thanks, John