Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrade CPU in S1XP

patmoocat
Visitor

Upgrade CPU in S1XP

I want to upgrade the CPU in my S1XP from the standard 478 pin Pentium M 1.7 CPU. All the Pentium M processors seem to be 479 pin, and an example is the 2.0 Ghz part number BXM80536GC2000F.
1) Can you actually remove the standard CPU?
2) Can you put in a 2 or 2.16 Ghz Pentium M CPU?
I've been hunting aroung the internet, but just can't find an answer!
Anybody with any info or experience in doing this greatly appreciated. Help!!! Want to get the speed up without forking out on a S5XP.

4 REPLIES 4
Josh-2552
Visitor

ive have an 1.7ghz pentium M as well. it's fast enough for me though, but i'd like to know if it is possible.

i will say that RAM will definitely help speed your pc up

patmoocat
Visitor

Yeah I put another 512 in, it did help. I think the HDD upgrade to a 120 Gig 5400 Seagate will also help a lot. To be honest I think the HDD is the only thing that is achieveable. I've found several sites showing how to do this (although no specific examples of going up to this size). The CPU is more of a nice to have... I think the HDD is the way forward to get more speed...

patmoocat
Visitor

Yeah I put another 512 in, it did help. I think the HDD upgrade to a 120 Gig 5400 Seagate will also help a lot. To be honest I think the HDD is the only thing that is achieveable. I've found several sites showing how to do this (although no specific examples of going up to this size). The CPU is more of a nice to have... I think the HDD is the way forward to get more speed...

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would excercise great caution doing this, you'd probably only be able to go to 2Ghz anyway, and remember more heat, means more noise from the fans and more battery usage