Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrade of hard drive in Vaio PCG-K115Z

flyman
Visitor

Upgrade of hard drive in Vaio PCG-K115Z

I wonder if any of you can help me. I get a warning on startup that a hard drive failure is imminent and to continue press F1. The machine starts up but I am concerned that one day soon it won't! It is three years old and has a Toshiba 60 GB hard drive (IDE). Does anyone know what is the maximum size of hard drive that I can fit and are there any big problems in changing disks? Prior to this latest warning I did get the dreaded blue screen but I have been able to restore the system to a previous date and that has worked up to now. Thanks in anticipation. :slight_smile:

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi flyman and welcome to Club Vaio.

You are lucky because the hard drive on the K-Series Vaios can be changed in minutes.

You can access it by removing the single screw holding the larger cover on the bottom of your Vaio.

I think your Vaio will accept any parallel ATA drive and these are available up to 160 GB.

Try a Google for 'Seagate Momentus ATA' or 'Hitachi Travelstar ATA' - these are two of the most popular drives and come in 5,400 or 7,200 RPM spindle speeds. The 7,200 drives are a bit quicker but a fair bit noisier (and more expensive). Most find the 5,400 drives the best compromise.

:wink:

flyman
Visitor

Many thanks Blencogo for the info.I shall follow it up. Sorry to show my ignorance but is an ATA drive compatible with IDE? Thanks again. flyman.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

....but is an ATA drive compatible with IDE? 

Hi flyman,

IDE and ATA are synonymous.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
emanuele75
Visitor

Hi

Is it also so easy for a PCG-FR415M?

Thank you
Emanuele