Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrade Ram

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
careyclose
Explorer

Upgrade Ram

Hi, I have a Vaio VPVJ12 and I would like to know how much RAM memory I can upgrade to and how please. I have loaded Pinnacle 16 Aultimate, I think I am running 4gb at the moment on Windows 7 64bit.

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

There are a number of VPCJ12 models in the range but as far as I can see they all support max RAM of 8 GB in two slots (2 x 4 GB).

To add or change modules it will be necessary to remove the back cover but I have no experiance of all in one Vaios.

To check whether your machine has one 4GB module fitted or 2 x 2 GB modules I suggest you run the Crucial Analyser as per the above link prior to ordering additional memory.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi careyclose,

Can you please try and identify the correct and full ‘product model number’ – is it perhaps a VPCJ12 series?. Depending on the age of the machine it will either be on the screen surround or on a white sticker on the underside (if it is a notebook) or on the back (if it is an All-In-One).

Given this then someone may be able to advise.

Or you could run the Crucial System Scanner.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
careyclose
Explorer

Rich, According to my paperwork it is VPCJ12 series with 3Gb ram (2.73Gb useable) all in one desktop Touch screen, running Windows 7 home 64bit. Hope that is enough

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

There are a number of VPCJ12 models in the range but as far as I can see they all support max RAM of 8 GB in two slots (2 x 4 GB).

To add or change modules it will be necessary to remove the back cover but I have no experiance of all in one Vaios.

To check whether your machine has one 4GB module fitted or 2 x 2 GB modules I suggest you run the Crucial Analyser as per the above link prior to ordering additional memory.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
careyclose
Explorer

Thank you Rich i used the software you recommended and it came up with the answer  I have one 2Gb and one 1Gb module. They recommend upgrading in pairs and the limit is 8Gb. Can i take the 1Gb module out and put 6Gb 3X2 modules or do i need to put a 8Gb kit in.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi careyclose,

I am surprised that you have one 2 GB and one 1 GB module fitted as I thought this model had 4 GB as standard.

You only have two slots so cannot replace the 1 GB module with 3x2 GB modules – max per slot is 4 GB (single module). As the 8 GB kit is reasonably priced at less than £45 this is the option I would go for as matching modules will provide the best performance. Alternatively replace the 1 GB module with a 4 GB module to upgrade to 6 GB.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
careyclose
Explorer

Thanks for that info, glad some one knows what they are talking about. Yes that is an odd configeration, saving money I guess. I have marked this answered so you can get back to helping another lost soul.

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You’re welcome careyclose :slight_smile:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat