Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading ram = crash of windows

samySLO
Visitor

Upgrading ram = crash of windows

Hi,

I have a model of Vaio PCG-FR102. This model have on default 256 ddr ram (PC2100, CL2,5). I wanted to upgrade the ram for 512 ddr more (up to 768)with the same properties (PC2100, CL2,5) only the brand is diferent. The first time I put the new memory card inside it worked perfect (in windows system properties showed that I have 768 ram and in BIOS the same.) But when I restarted the system for the third time (approx.) in windows xp, was showed a blue screen (with some errors) and the system restarted. When it restarted there was only 512 ram running. When I check it out with Sandra 2007 (SiSoftware), it showed me that the default Ram was working on full - 256 ram, and the new one was working on half power - 256 ram.
Now, every 15. restart of computer (approximately 15) there is again a blue screen (before the starting of win) that stops the starting of win. This stop is caused because the system want to run 768 ram, but when windows wanted to start there is a breakdown.

I hope you can help me, because it is really upsetting. :slight_frown:

Tnx

Samy

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

If the problem goes away when you remove the new RAM then the chances are that the RAM is faulty. You could try using just one stick of RAM at a time to confirm this.

Zagster
Visitor

Hi there samySLO,

I'm not familiar with the FR102, but if your notebook is running RAM at dual channel mode then it requires the memory modules used to be of exactly the same make and type to achieve stability. Imagine that, for this purpose, some leading memory manufacturers (like Corsair) are producing identical pairs of memory modules which they also test for stability, by running them on an actual motherboard prior to packaging.

Going for a different brand and different memory capacity, I believe, was a very adventurous choice. If indeed you're running dual channel (one of the experts might be able to confirm this) you may never get the stability or the memory capacity you're looking for.

You may want to check this out for more information on dual channel.

Hope that was helpful,
Stam

samySLO
Visitor

Thanks for all information,

Now I have some more ideas what to try. First of all I will try to run the computer only with the new RAM (to try if it faulty). If it is good, I will try to find a same 512 RAM, so it will run in dual channel.
I want only ask you if is there some possibility to disable dual channel function.

Tnx :slight_smile:

Zagster
Visitor

Dual channel is an architecture embedded in the motherboard chipset. I'm quite certain it can't be disabled. Even if you could, though, I don't think you would want to do it. Dual channel seriously increases RAM reading/writing speed.

Stam

samySLO
Visitor

Hi Stam,

I read all the article that you gave me and I discovered that probably I don't have Dual channel. I really don't know what is the problem? :slight_frown: . I tried to sent an e-mail to the author of the article. I hope he will reply me.

Thanks lot.

Samy

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Samy,

You are correct - your model does not support dual channel RAM, so that isn't the problem.

I would try a pair of the same make.

:smileyd_oh:

Zagster
Visitor

I suspected this would be the case... if the notebook supported dual channed, it would surely come with a pair of modules from the factory... So I'm with Blencogo. Looks like we're talking about module incompatibility here. Have you tried using on its own the 512Mb module you purchased?

samySLO
Visitor

Yes I have tried to put only the "new" ram (the 512 one), but the problem now is that the BIOS remeber that this one run on 256. So if I put inside only the the 512 Ram it will run only on 50% (256 mb). :thinking:

samySLO
Visitor

How can I do that the Bios forget on how much the "new" ram is running? Is Possible to do this.