Question?

Has anyone tried to upgrade either the Hard Drive or Processor
in the V2S/M or V3S/M series desktop?

If so were you successfull?

TD4:smileydevil:

3 REPLIES 3
picman
Visitor

Hi TD4, The hard drive should be easy enough to change. Its a standard ide drive and is mounted in the stand were the psu is. The processor is a different matter. Its buried deep in the back of the machine and it took me 2 hrs to strip it to a point where I could see it.. How do I now this. Well A client had his VGC-v2 blown up by a lightening strike and was out of warranty anyway. We needed to pull the drive for the data. Hense my previous posts for the VGC-V3 new out of the box. Now you know why. I would not suggest doing this on any machine that is still in warranty. Its a pig to get open, and covered in sticky silver foil. Its very obvious if its been tampered with.

TD4
Visitor

Picman

Thanks for the quick reply :slight_smile:

I will take your advise and leave the processor alone until after the warranty expires.

As for the hard drive, is getting to it fairly easy ?

TD4:smileydevil:

picman
Visitor

Hi TD4. Lay the vaio face down on a cloth. Slide the back cover up as far as it will go, if you look at the middle of that cover were the cut out for the pedestal is you will see a little plastic tab. Press it and the back cover should slide up a firther 2 cm and then lft off. Looking at the pedestal just above the rounfd base and to the front there are 2 black cross head screws on the corner of the plastic cover, remove these and the cover comes off. Its a bit of a tight fit and you may have to adjust the angle of the screen/base (ie hang the base over the side of the table) Once off you will see that it is mostly psu but you will also see that a full size ide drive is tucked in there. 4 screws hold the drive in, but it also has sticky foil over the end of it to hold the power and the ide cable in. If you are very careful you can remove this without ripping it. Hope this helps. Re post if you need any more info.