Join now - be part of our community!

USB Problem Sony Vaio Desktop PCV-V1/G

profile.country.en_GB.title
mumborumbo
Visitor

USB Problem Sony Vaio Desktop PCV-V1/G

I would be grateful for any help with the following:

none of my USB devices (Ipod, mouse etc) are recognised. When I plug them in an error message comes up saying "usb device not recognised". I have had my computer for nearly 2 years and it has always been fine up to now. I used it Ok early yesterday evening and then went jout and when I got back home and went to update my ipod the message popped up. the mouse also stopped working.

Is there something I can download to solve this?

As I'm out of warranty I want to try and avoid calling Sony!!!

Thanks for any help.

Anne

15 REPLIES 15
tonybeard
Explorer

Welcome to the forum ummm matey,
go to the device manager and reinstall the usb drivers. Right click my computer>properties>hardware>device manager>usb hub controller and delete and reboot. Xp wil replace the corrupted drivers

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Good advice Tony - but don't forget to uninstall ALL your USB Controllers. You could have up to five of them!

:wink:

mumborumbo
Visitor

Tony, Thanks for your reply. I just had a quick look. Do I delete the one by the cross (USB controllers) or do I click on the cross - when I do that there are about 6 or 7 all with different names:
root hub, composite device, enhanced host controller?

Thanks Anne

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Anne,

Click on the cross to see the individual USB devices.

Right click on each "Controller" in turn and select "uninstall".

Do this for each device with the word Controller in the name - most will be Universal Host Controllers but there will be one Enhanced Host Controller. They will have a code at the end (something like 27CA).

Re-boot your computer.

:slight_smile:

mumborumbo
Visitor

I have just tried your suggestions and it hasn't worked. Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Lizardlady

Have you tried a system restore ( start > all programs > accessories > System tools) to a time when your USB ports were working correctly.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Anne,

Don't any USB devices work at all in any of the ports?
When you go to Device Manager are there any warning icons next to your USB Controllers?

It is unusual for all USB ports to stop working suddenly for no apparent reason.

:thinking:

mumborumbo
Visitor

I've tried the restore it hasn't worked.

There are no warning icons next to any of the USB controllers in the device manager.

the problem started when I plugged my Ipod in and downloaded some tunes from Itunes. I left the computer downloadng the songs. When i came back the computer had crashed. When i restarted the tunes had downloaded OK (i have since burnt a CD with them on), but the ipod wasn't recognised and the warning came up "this device is not recognised and has malfunctioned". The usb mouse wouldn't work either, nor would my Belkin extension which plugs into a usb port and itself has 2 usb ports on it. The ipod and the mouse etc., all work perfectly well on another computer.

tonybeard
Explorer

Mynickname is Beardo and Tuneup Tony. Here we go again. Get Tune Up Utilities from here and run a virus check also