Join now - be part of our community!

USB Problem Sony Vaio Desktop PCV-V1/G

profile.country.en_GB.title
mumborumbo
Visitor

USB Problem Sony Vaio Desktop PCV-V1/G

I would be grateful for any help with the following:

none of my USB devices (Ipod, mouse etc) are recognised. When I plug them in an error message comes up saying "usb device not recognised". I have had my computer for nearly 2 years and it has always been fine up to now. I used it Ok early yesterday evening and then went jout and when I got back home and went to update my ipod the message popped up. the mouse also stopped working.

Is there something I can download to solve this?

As I'm out of warranty I want to try and avoid calling Sony!!!

Thanks for any help.

Anne

15 REPLIES 15
mumborumbo
Visitor

I'm just going to do the tune up and virus test as you suggest - but my camera now works as does my mouse in the usb but the Belkin thing and the ipod are not recognised (the ipod was plugged into the belkin thing when i had the big crash the other night). yet both those things work in other computers.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

This may sound a daft suggestion but has been known to solve your particular problem. Turn off the computer and remove the plug from the wall socket, leave it for half an hour and then plug back in and re-boot.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
mumborumbo
Visitor

A million thank you to everyone who helped me - its now working! Whether it was running the virus scans or unplugging it for half an hour who know - the main thing is its now back to normal.

Once again, many thanks for taking the time out to give your suggestions and help me out.

Anne

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I’m pleased to hear that the problem is now solved, no matter what the actual solution was!

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
tonybeard
Explorer

It was telling the computer to go and sit in the corner for a spell did it Rich. No seriously disengaging the power causes a hard reset yeah???

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

No seriously disengaging the power causes a hard reset yeah???

As I understand, it is to do with letting all the capacitors fully discharge, but quite honestly the technical side of that is beyond me.....:smileyhypnotized:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat