Join now - be part of our community!

USER ACCOUNTS - No administrator apparent

USER ACCOUNTS - No administrator apparent

Hi,
I have a Sony Vaio laptop FX 701 ( one of the very 1st Vaio's ) and when I log onto User accounts I just get a blank window come up for every user that is registered on the machine. I used to be the administrator but now nobody is.
Does anyone know how I can get Administrator powers back, as the machine wont even let anyone search for files etc at the moment. My e-mail is ukbossman007@hotmail.co.uk

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ukbossman,

You'll need to boot into safe mode and then log on as Administrator.

Once there you can either add another user as administrator or select change a users account type...:smileyhappy:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Try:

Start -> Run -> control userpasswords2 -> OK

This should show you the Administrator Account and let you configure passwords etc. It is normal in XP Home (your default OS) not to show the Administrator Account in User Accounts (it normally isn't set up and just contains a blank password) - one of the other Users is normally set up with Administrative Priviledges.

If you are blocked from getting into control userpasswords2, you can also boot into Safe Mode (Tap F8 when you see the Vaio Logo on boot) - this normally shows the Administrator User and unless you have entered a password it will be blank.

:wink:

EDIT: Afrernoon Thalamus!!

:slight_smile:

Many thanx peeps I will try in the morning (UK ) and let you know how I get on, have a great Sunday

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

:cool: No problem, good luck..:smileygood_luck: