Join now - be part of our community!

Using headphones while VGF-AP1 is in the cradle...some kind of sound

profile.country.de_DE.title
thwi
Visitor

Using headphones while VGF-AP1 is in the cradle...some kind of sound

After playing around with my VAIO Pocket for a couple of days I noticed a (minor) sort of problem. I hooked a (large) Sony headphone in the headphone jack while the VAIO was still in its charging cradle. I noticed a sort of interferic noise (buzz) while listening to the VAIO Pocket this way. Strangly the sound always went away when I touched the VAIO with my hand.
Could it be possible that the use of the charging device transmitts some sound ? It doesn´t make this sound when I use the line out over my stero and it doesn´t make this sound when I use it with headphones and without the cradle?
Any idea - maybe somebody has some insight in these technical questions...

6 REPLIES 6
Monchichack
Visitor

Seems like the buzz maybe caused by an earthing problem. By touching the unit you are giving it an earth contact & when using the line out it is being earthed by your stereo.

I am assuming the psu is switch-mode & imagine that it is the cause of the problem however you will probably find that even if you replace the psu or main unit it will still buzz under those conditions.

You are probably best testing someone elses unit to see if it does the same as yours before thinking yours is faulty, if another unit does it as well it will probably end up as one of those things you will have to live with.

Just a hungover thought so please dont quote me on anything.

Chris

thwi
Visitor

I did some more research and noticed, that the power supply unit makes the buzzing sound iteself which may be transferred (because of the earthing problem) to the player.
If I listen closely to my power supply unit (a rather strange thing to do, I know....) it makes this buzzing sound - are all psu this way?

diverse
Visitor

I have a nokia charger that makes a high pitched noise when plugged in, i have others nokia charger of same model that came with different phones that don't exhibit the same issue!

Automan
Visitor

The power unit is switch mode.
Turns mains into dc and then switches at high frequency (the buzz) and is turned back into regulated DC.

I have a similar problem with my Sony Vaio laptop PCG-9J3M

I have a logitech Quickcam Pro for Notebooks.
Works okay but when on mains the microphone picks up a terrible 50 buzz.
Unplug the mains adapter and it is fine.

Automan.

thwi
Visitor

The power unit is switch mode.
Turns mains into dc and then switches at high frequency (the buzz) and is turned back into regulated DC.
I have a similar problem with my Sony Vaio laptop PCG-9J3M

Does it make any sense to get an exchange power unit from Sony or is this "problem" rather common.

Any other idea of solutions for getting rid of the "buzz"?

Best wishes,
Thomas

Hellz_Virtue
Visitor

I have exactly the same problem/occurance. When i switch the VAIO Pocket off, when it is completely switched off i get a small high-pitched sound coming from it. Also when i plug any earphones or headphones into it, it makes that noise in the earphones too. Im guessing this isnt a fault, just something that occurs but which Sony if possible shoud sort out. I dont think it harms the player in any way, otherwise I would have taken mine back more than a month ago.