Join now - be part of our community!

Using TV as an external monitor

junegrosvenor
Visitor

Using TV as an external monitor

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio SZ2M/B laptop. I would like to know if it is possible to connect my laptop to my TV and use the TV as an external monitor. I use to be able to do this with an older Vaio. It was done via the Fn button and the TV was automatically recognised. This does not seem to work on the SZ Series. It has NVIDIA GeoForce Go 740 installed and I have already been onto the NVIDIA website and tried switching from stamina to speed to enable external monitors. It makes no difference. I know it is possible but guess I am doing something wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I presume you are connecting VGA to VGA on the TV ?

What is the make and screen resolution of your TV?

:thinking:

junegrosvenor
Visitor

Hi

Thanks for replying but I have no clue what VGA is ??

I have a Sharp TV and a cable that connects from the headphone socket on my laptop to the AV3 connection on my TV using a white, yellow and red connector !

Hope this all makes sense.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi,

Unfortunately, the headphone-out socket will only carry stereo sound to your TV and only has two internal connections.

The cable you have is for a TV-out socket, which has 3 internal connections as it also carries a video signal.

You are right, older Vaios did have a TV-out socket but. sadly, your SZ2M does not have this facility. I don't know why Sony have withdrawn this feature because it means that the only way you can get a video signal out of your Vaio is through the VGA port (15 pins) and unless your TV has a similar 'computer' port, you would need to buy a converter box (£50 to £100).

Sorry!

:slight_frown:

EDIT: You need something like THIS CONVERTER

:wink: