Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio AR21S and Vaio AR71S or US Version Vaio AR770 Motherboard number

estezijem
Visitor

Vaio AR21S and Vaio AR71S or US Version Vaio AR770 Motherboard number

Hi, can somebody tell me, what is the exact number of the motherboard in the Vaio AR21S or in the US version AR770? I'm looking for a motherboard with Geforce 7600 GT or with Geforce 8600 GT. Thanks. Stefan

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Stefan and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately I suspect that a new motherboard will cost you as much, if not more than a replacement notebook - possibly up to $2000.

Check out Nexttronics which, as far as I am aware, is the only supply only source for Sony parts.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gray52
Visitor

has the motherboard packed up? and is it on the ar21s model? had a few problems with mine but just been sorted my sony, thank god.

estezijem
Visitor

Hello and thanks for welcome! The motherboard in my AR21S is defect. The Geforce Go 7600GT doesn't work properly anymore. I'm looking for a replacement of the motherboard, but I need to know the exact number of it in order to look for it on Ebay, etc. I was thinking about the possibility to replace the motherboard with another one from a newer AR series, which has Geforce 8600GT 512MB, but I would be happy with the only graphics chip or the original AR21S motherboard at disposal. Any ideas?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Stefan,

Nexttronics list the following motherboards as compatible with the AR21S:

A 1231 912 A
A 1231 913 A
A 1231 914 A
A 1231 915 A
A 1231 916 A

Unfortunately there is no information on graphics chip, but an email to Nexttronics may provide additional information.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
mrjingles-suzuki
New

Hello

Do not bother replacing the motherboard. Sell what is still working and throw the rest in the garbage. If the idea of buying another Sony Vaio appears in your head then try to ignore it. Never buy another one of this companies computers again.
Save your money and buy something else.

Reasons why:
1. Sony's overseas technical support is utterly rubbish
2. Between 18 months to 2 years the video chip will explode. If your lucky. Does not matter
which manufacturer you choose, Nvidia or Ati, both will die after 2 years.
3. Build quality on the latest machines is terrible, doors break, paint rubs off and paint
starts chipping off.
4. No 3 year warranty

I have just had my VGN-AR21S video chip go wrong. This is the 4th Vaio Notebook to suffer from the same problem. I cannot afford to keep buying Vaio computers.
I even had Sony in Japan service the thing 6 months ago after both internal hard drives fail.

BUY SOMETHING ELSE AND SAVE YOUR MONEY.

prednisolon
Visitor

Hello,

I have the exact problem with my AR21s laptop. i spent 2000 pounds and the video card died just over a year now the sony service telling me to replace the whole motherboard for 400 pounds.
did you solve your problem? do you know a website to buy the motherboard cheaper?

Hello and thanks for welcome! The motherboard in my AR21S is defect. The Geforce Go 7600GT doesn't work properly anymore. I'm looking for a replacement of the motherboard, but I need to know the exact number of it in order to look for it on Ebay, etc. I was thinking about the possibility to replace the motherboard with another one from a newer AR series, which has Geforce 8600GT 512MB, but I would be happy with the only graphics chip or the original AR21S motherboard at disposal. Any ideas?

prednisolon
Visitor

Hey Rich,

Im about to replace my difected ar21s motherboard and i was wondering which one of these 2 motherboards that i need?

Sony A-1231-912-A MS21 ASSY PWBA MB H(
or
Sony A-1231-912-A VGN-A290 DO NOT STOCK SYSTEM BOARD

thanks,

Hi Stefan,

Nexttronics list the following motherboards as compatible with the AR21S:

A 1231 912 A
A 1231 913 A
A 1231 914 A
A 1231 915 A
A 1231 916 A

Unfortunately there is no information on graphics chip, but an email to Nexttronics may provide additional information.

profile.country.en_GB.title
galed
Visitor

We used to be a 'wall to wall' Sony company: laptops, monitors, TVs, pro-video cameras & video HDDs, NLE and other software.

Then we bought an AR21S laptop and two weeks after the warranty ran out the motherboard went kaput. The response from Sony was abysmal, their contention being that there was no established manufacturing defect that rendered the item as not fit for purpose.

Sony's suggestion was that we paid £100s to repair an item that clearly had a manufacturing defect and to use replacement parts that... wait for it... couldn't be guaranteed not have the same problem.

That was enough. Not a single penny has been spent on Sony products since and nor will there be until someone from Sony contacts us with a new laptop and an apology.

David
CEO

RamTec

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Full name removed

Message was edited by: galed