Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Battery does not seem to keep its charge?

profile.country.en_GB.title
smileystar23
Visitor

Vaio Battery does not seem to keep its charge?

Hiya!

My battery on my vaio doesnt seem to keep its charge? i can keep it charged in the mains until the battery is full. but then when i turn my computer on the next day i'm lucky if i can use the battery power for 5mins. i dont use my computer alot so dont use the power that quickly. i have not even had the laptop for a year yet? any suggestions would be much appreciated????

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

That doesn't sound right.

To check if it is the battery itself or your system leaking power, try charging the battery fully last thing at night and then remove the battery.  Put the battery back before you use it the next day.  Is the battery still fully charged or has it lost charge?

What model Vaio do you have and does it have a battery care function?

:thinking:

smileystar23
Visitor

Thanx i will try taking the battery out tonight :slight_smile:

my model number is VPCEE2M1E and i'm not sure about the care function how would i find this out?

Thanks again!

Slinn64
Visitor

I've had the same battery problems and fixed it myself - my battery would discharge from 100% to zero in only 52 minutes - it was nearly new and previously had 3 hours life... Sony Support have been worse than useless ... The battery does now hold its charge fine.  Meanwhile, in just a few weeks while waiting for a solution, my battery has been damaged.

My problem was not the battery but the Sony VAIO battery management software which stopped working after I installed the 64-bit Windows 7 update Service Pack 1 (SP1).

Warning to all 64-bit Windows 7 users:  Do NOT install Windows 7 SP1 !!!!!   If you do and the Sony VAIO battery management software ruins your battery, Sony Support won't to replace it but blame Microsoft instead.

However, if you have already installed SP1 and your battery is not holding charge, then this may be a Sony battery management software problem, not a problem with the physical battery.  If so, you may need to run the VAIO Care Recovery and Restore programme (from the start menu), use the Recovery option  - Reinstall Applications and Drivers – and re-installed the Battery Checker (check box option).

If this sorts the main problem, then the advice in this thread - charge / discharge / re-charge / discharge, etc. - is good and may help further.  Also consider using the Sony Battery Care options and set the battery to 80% charge if your machine is plugged in most of the time.

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:.

Here's the detail of what happened to me in case others have similar problems:

After I installed the Windows 7 update for SP1 my battery performance died - the battery would discharge from 100% to zero in only 52 minutes (it was nearly 3 hours before installing SP1).  In a specific timed test for Sony Support the battery took 47 minutes to discharge to 50% and then rapidly discharged from 50% to zero in the following 4 minutes.  In all tests I performed the machine did not ‘turn off’ but crashed as if the battery had been ripped out, prompting a safe-start by windows each time.  From zero charge, the battery was re-charging to 100% charge in about 20 minutes.

Sony Support were useless, so I started to read many technical discussion forums online and found that hundreds of Sony users have the same problem with battery performance with no solution.  Many discussions online have led back to a wrong idea: that the Microsoft Windows system drivers – battc.sys and compbatt.sys – used for Microsoft Composite Battery management are too old to be 64-bit versions.  This idea is because the Microsoft driver information displayed in the Device Manager window shows a driver date of 21/06/2006, before Windows 7 64-bit was developed.  However the actual hidden driver files in the Windows System folder (version 6.1.7) are dated 14/07/2009 and are indeed 64-bit versions.  I found this after I spent hours looking for new versions of the drivers and when I couldn’t find any mention, let alone new versions, I then checked the actual file properties myself and discovered the Microsoft drivers are fine (even though there is a Microsoft error displaying the date using Device Manager).

I then investigated other ideas – and checked that the version of VAIO Power Management and Battery Checker VAIO (part of the Sony Notebook Utilities exe) for my machine (VPCEB3C5E).  The latest versions I could see online (Sony sites) all appear to be the same versions as those already installed on my machine.

However, I tried one final, simple action and it fixed my machine:

I used the VAIO Care Recovery and Restore programme (start menu), use the Recovery option
- Reinstall Applications and Drivers – and re-installed the Battery Checker
(check box option).

This fixed the problems with the battery management where the machine suddenly crashes without adequate warning when the battery is discharging. The battery now shows a steady discharge from 100% down to zero (remember, before it discharged quickly down to 50% and then from 50% to zero in the last 4 minutes). It also charges back up at a steady (safe) rate rather than rapidly.

Unfortunately, my battery is now damaged but Sony Support do not want to know.  In the several weeks while the software was not working properly the battery had been rapidly re-charged, over-charged and is now damaged.  The previous battery life of over 2.5 hours in normal use (let alone test conditions doing nothing) has been reduced to less than an hour since the 64-bit Windows 7 SP1 installation.

Things cannot still be fully correct with the Sony battery management software because the battery health status in the VAIO Control Centre is still displaying GOOD.  So Sony Support will not replace the battery, even though previously they contradicted themselves by saying I had to run industry standard tests - now when the tests show the battery is faulty Sony then go back to relying on software that was the cause of the problem.  Unbelievable !!!

Moreover, the Sony European Support guy escalated my case (5568077) and the response he got was this is a Windows 7 issue and not a Sony problem ... Therefore, should I ask Microsoft for a new Sony battery even though it was the Sony software at fault?  Even more unbelievable !!!!!!

So, all Sony VAIO Users - don't install SP1 and expect Sony Support to help.

Most of all - when the Sony VAIO battery management software ruins your battery, don't expect Sony to replace it. 

This was the first time I've bought a Sony - I've had dozens of Dells over the years but thought I'd try a VAIO for a change ... Given my recent experience guess what my next machine will be?  Sony may be making a small financial loss since the Tsunami and online gaming / hacker problems, but with service like this their VAIO losses will also be significant in the future - Sony Support just don't get that customers pay for and expect service when we buy a machine ... Idiots!

Message was edited by: Slinn64

Message was edited by: Slinn64

profile.country.DE.title
omniplex
Visitor

Warning to all 64-bit Windows 7 users:  Do NOT install Windows 7 SP1 !!!!!   If you do and the Sony VAIO battery management software ruins your battery, Sony Support won't to replace it but blame Microsoft instead.

[...]

Most of all - when the Sony VAIO battery management software ruins your battery, don't expect Sony to replace it. 

This was the first time I've bought a Sony - I've had dozens of Dells over the years but thought I'd try a VAIO for a change ... Given my recent experience guess what my next machine will be?

IANAL, but I certainly installed SP1 for windows 7, this is just a collection of fixes I'd get anyway with Windows Update -- as recommended in the VAIO manual, the VAIO care tool even checks auto-update, doesn't it?

So if some piece of software manages "to ruin a battery" it's a faulty hardware, and your warranty is not affected by Sony support opinions.  Just demand a replace, and tell them that it won't be cheaper if they force you to hire an attorney for this issue.  Your legal rights are determined by laws, not by Sony.  Installing the latest updates for your software is no "gross negligence", but the contrary could be the case:  Installing these updates could be considered as your duty.

profile.country.fr_FR.title
Guy_Guy
Visitor

Good morning

I have been this problem. The best way is to dowload completly the battery before to load. This way will keep it long time. To solve your problem use internal diagnostic to check if there isn't a problem with the interface, if not buy a new battery. To optimize it, use principally your VAIO connected on 110-220 VAC.

Good luck

jowalsh99
Visitor

Realise this thread is a bit dated but I have just come across it as I too have battery charging problems similar to above.  My VGN-FW41E is 2 years old so I thought it was just age of the battery - its difficult finding how many charges that the Li battery should be able to cope with - realise it is dependent on a number of things.

Bottom line is that the laptop battery charges to 100% but when disconnected from AC discharges in approx 10 mins - 100% to 50% in approx 10 mins then rapidly from 50% to dead. I have Windows 7 32 bit on Laptop and noticed that SP1 loaded recently.  Have tried taking battery out/disconnect ac and pressing start button for 30 secs (recommended elsewhere to discharge static on computer boards).

Maybe I am thick but I can't find "Vaio Care Recovery & Restore Prog in Start Menu" but I do have "Vaio Data Restore".  Do I have later software?  NB Vaio did not come with discs but I created reinstall discs.

If I need a new battery, I looked at Sony website and a replacement battery is £180!!!!  Anyone got an idea on better alernatives otherwise my laptop will be a permanent desktop.

Message was edited by: jowalsh99

Message was edited by: jowalsh99

davausti6
Visitor

Today I have just encountered a similar but not identical issue.  The laptop shows battery in excellent health; 72% and charging.  But if I disconnect from the mains I have no power.  This was a problem I had fixed by Sony when I first had the machine, described then as a software fault.  Had run Vaio Care the night before so think I might see if I can unwind that in case it was caused by this.

profile.country.GB.title
stucoult
New

Power charge and drain to reconfig the battery. Found this on the web:

Step 1 – Disable the Windows Power Management
1. In Windows, right-click  the Desktop and select Properties in the menu list.
2. Click the Screen Saver  tab and then click the Power button.
3. Under Power schemes, select Always On  in the drop down menu.
4. Under Settings for Always On power scheme, select  Never in each of the drop down menus.
5. Click OK on the Power Options  Properties window and then click OK on the Display Properties window.

Step 2 – Fully charge the battery
1. Connect the AC adapter to the  notebook.
2. Charge the battery until the Windows battery meter is at  100%.

Step 3 – Fully discharge the battery
1. Remove the AC adapter.
2. Keep  the notebook on until the battery has completely drained and the notebook  automatically turns off.
3. Connect the AC adapter to the notebook.
4.  Keep the AC adapter connected to the notebook until the battery has completely  charged.

Step 4 – Enable the Windows Power Management
1. In Windows, right-click  the Desktop and select Properties in the menu list.
2. Click the Screen Saver  tab and then click the Power button.
3. Under Power schemes, select  Portable/Laptop in the drop down menu.
4. Click OK on the Power Options  Properties window and then click OK on the Display Properties window.

If the laptop battery is still bad then it must have  developed a memory that cannot be erased easily.  If calibration doesn’t help,  then it is the right time to purchase another battery.

profile.country.fr_FR.title
pari445
Visitor

The battery life depends on the usage, if you put your laptop always with your charger, the life your charger decreases fastly.So i think the only option is to change your battery.

http://www.rapidenumerique.fr : http://www.rapidesaisie.fr