Vaio battery recall - TheRegister

speculatrix
Visitor

Vaio battery recall - TheRegister

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/10/17/sony_japan_recalls_90k_vaio_batteries/

By Tony Smith [More by this author]
17th October 2006 10:49 GMT
Find your perfect job - click here from thousands of tech vacancies

Sony has announced details of the Vaio laptop battery recall it admitted last month it was going to initiate. And Toshiba has indicated it may sue the Japanese giant in order to gain recompense for any damage it alleges may have been done to its brand by its own battery recall.

Sony's Vaio division announced on 29 September it was planning to recall batteries fitted into some of its notebook computers. At the time, it said it was pondering whether it would participate in the broader battery recall programme put in place independently by Sony's battery manufacturing operation.

15 REPLIES 15
frannys
Visitor

Can someone tell me how we return the Batteries.I have a Viao FE11M.The FE is mentioned as a recall.This System was bought from PC World,UK.

frannys
Visitor

I phoned Sony this morning and enquired about changing my Battery as it is a VGP-BPS2B,and that it is listed as a recall.I was told that the European ones are not affected and that they are perfectly safe to use.

sammiimmas
Visitor

Thats good to know, I think Nico was saying this all along.

Phewww

Sammi

apierc1
Visitor

Firstly does your battery become excessively hot? Laptops normally become very hot and have always had warnings about if you use any laptop on your lap with only your clothes between you and the machine you risk being burned, so you have to see if the battery really is getting "too" hot. As Sony have maintained the battery problems with other manufacturers machines is due to the charging system rather than the battery alone and this is what makes them "safe" in the Sony machines. Just hold tight and keep an eye on the news technologies sections to see if Sony issue a recall in europe (so far i believe the recalls by Sony in asia are only good will recalls/exchanges not actually recalls due to any problems :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I phoned Sony this morning and enquired about changing my Battery as it is a VGP-BPS2B,and that it is listed as a recall.I was told that the European ones are not affected and that they are perfectly safe to use.

I think if it was affected Nico would have let you know?

speculatrix
Visitor

my sony tx2/xp only gets mildly warm when being charged up, but even so I am mindful to only charge it when there is good airflow so battery can't get hot.