Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio doesn't recognise 8cm DVD+RW recorded on Sony handycam

Clear_air
Visitor

Vaio doesn't recognise 8cm DVD+RW recorded on Sony handycam

My Vaio has difficulty recognising an unfinalized 8cm DVD recorded on a Sony DVD-202E handycam. Neither Windows Explorer, WinDVD nor the pre-installed DVGate can see any files. In contrast, insert the same DVD into my Fujitsu Amilo laptop and everything works - I can read the list of files and play the video (with audio). I have downloaded the recommended DVGate update to the Vaio but with no improvement. The Vaio's DVD is the Pioneer DVR-K15.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Had a similar problem to you, I had to use Bad Copy Pro to take the files off the DVD to put on a normal sized DVD

Clear_air
Visitor

Thanks for the response. After posting the topic I contacted Sony's phone support. After trying the normal things - system restore and uninstall/reinstall the driver - the drive still didn't recognise the 8cm DVD. Sony support said that they would have to escalate the problem and get back to me in a few days. I wil post their response. In the past I have been able to read files from 8cm DVD but the Vaio has always been temperamental about doing so. I would have to reboot or open and close the DVD drawer a few times before it would read the disk. Having recorded from a Sony handycam onto a Sony DVD I just more or less assumed that a Sony computer would read it ...

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah you'd think they'd work on a VAIO wouldn't you?

Clear_air
Visitor

Latest in the saga: The Vaio was taken back by Sony under guarantee and the DVD drive replaced. On return the problem remained, but was partially solved by reinstalling the DVD driver. I can now read two out of my four 8cm DVD+RWs.The Fujitsu can still read all of them. Sony have offered to take the Vaio back again. I am impressed that Sony do seem to really want to solve this problem.