Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO FE31M VS XP X64

TLoC
Visitor

VAIO FE31M VS XP X64

hi there,

does anyone tried to install XP X64 on this model of notebook ?

i've tried 3 times and it crashes on initial setup...

any opinion ??

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi TLoC and welcome to Club Vaio.

What error messages do you get?

Are you loading the additional SATA drivers?

:thinking:

TLoC
Visitor

Hi TLoC and welcome to Club Vaio.

What error messages do you get?

Are you loading the additional SATA drivers?

hi and tks for the welcome

didn't receive any error message... just stay in the "setup is starting windows" screen forever...just after loading the initial files.

additional SATA drivers ?! but in the other OS, it seems no need...

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Ah - that is probably the cause.

Your Vaio has a SATA hard drive controller. These controllers do not have native drivers in the released version of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, so you need to copy your existing SATA drivers or download another copy. When you have the driver, you'll need to copy the driver files to a floppy disk, and use the F6 option to install the drivers during initial setup or the installer cannot recognise the hard drive.

:wink:

TLoC
Visitor

Ah - that is probably the cause.

Your Vaio has a SATA hard drive controller. These controllers do not have native drivers in the released version of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, so you need to copy your existing SATA drivers or download another copy. When you have the driver, you'll need to copy the driver files to a floppy disk, and use the F6 option to install the drivers during initial setup or the installer cannot recognise the hard drive.

hmmmm.. nice advice..

i'm gonna try this weekend.. in case of no floppy disk, the F6 works on cd-rom ??

tks a lot :slight_smile:
:cool:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi TLoC.

You can't load the SATA drivers from the CD-ROM.

You must either make a floppy disc with the drivers on or make a customised XP installation disc which includes the drivers.

To make the customised disc download nLite from here (free) and follow the guides on the site to make a bootable embedded CD.

TLoC
Visitor

Hi TLoC.

You must either make a floppy disc with the drivers on or make a customised XP installation disc which includes the drivers.

To make the customised disc download nLite from here (free) and follow the guides on the site to make a bootable embedded CD.

hi there,

yesterday i tried to input the SATA drivers in a CD-ROM, press F6 and when it ask for a floppy, inserted the cd-rom but without any positive results..

the OS says that there is no floppy detected and there is no way to browse the files 😞

how do i copy more sata drivers to run automatically on cd-rom?

gonna check this tool.. tks :slight_smile:

TLoC
Visitor

Hi TLoC.

hi there,

yesterday i tried to input the SATA drivers in a CD-ROM, press F6 and when it ask for a floppy, inserted the cd-rom but without any positive results..

the OS says that there is no floppy detected and there is no way to browse the files 😞

i check now the sata folder on drivers that came with FE31M and i see this text...

"; This INF file installs the Silicon Image Serial ATA non-Raid driver
; for the SiI 3132 controller on systems running Windows 2000/XP
; and Windows Server 2003."

isn't there differences about this and about "You only will succeed with the integration of the nForce SataRaid drivers, if you have" that we may find on nlite homepage ?! :thinking: :thinking:

tks and sorry ´bout my english :slight_frown:

TLoC
Visitor

Hi TLoC.

hi there,

i check now the sata folder on drivers that came with FE31M and i see this text...

"; This INF file installs the Silicon Image Serial ATA non-Raid driver
; for the SiI 3132 controller on systems running Windows 2000/XP
; and Windows Server 2003."

isn't there differences about this and about "You only will succeed with the integration of the nForce SataRaid drivers, if you have" that we may find on nlite homepage ?! :thinking: :thinking:

tks and sorry ´bout my english :slight_frown:

another step... :cry:

nlite asks for a *.ini that i don't have on SATA folder drivers...

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry TLoC, I have only tried it with Intel SATA/RAID drivers.

I also found THIS ACCESORY a good investment for £15.99.