Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio FS-315m not powering on

Sierra
Visitor

Vaio FS-315m not powering on

Hi all,

4 hours ago my vaio notebooks screen went black.
I checked the notebooks power and there was no green and/or orange lights lighted.
The AC power adapter have a green light so there is power comming from it.
I read the Troubleshooting Guide about 'MyComputer does not start':
-I can 100% confirm that my notebook is connected to AC power supply.
-The power indicator is not working very well(I'll will tell you this later).
-all external devices are unplugged (usb mouse and internet connection)
-no moisture condensation
-no external display
-I can't start windows because not of floppy disk but of no power.
-I removed an extra memory module A Kingston 512 mb compatible with this vaio (Kingston Part Number M6464E40 compatible with VGP-MM512L (Sony)) and not notebook still not working.
-Notebooksonly part:
*checked battery is inserted properly but can't check if it is charged (no light) and still not working when it is running on AC power supply only.
* Adapter is genuine(VGP-AV19V11) and os is the rechargable battery pack(VGP-BPS2)
*battery indicator only flashed a half second and then turned off
-------------------------------------------------------------
About the green(power) and orange(battery) light.
-1.When I unplug both the battery and AC power from the vaio. Vaio would not turn on (Duh, thats logical :P)
-2.When I plug back ONLY the battery, the green power light turn on for approximatly 1 second and the orange battery light indicator flash only for approximatly also a second.But the vaio will still not power on.
These lights will not occur again when I press again on the on/off button. Only when I unplug the battery and plug it back then the 1 seconds lights will flash again on the first time.
-3. When I plug back ONLY AC power supply, the green power light turn on for approximatly 1 second and the orange battery light indicator flash only for approximatly a half a second.But the vaio will still not power on.
These lights will not occur again when I press again on the on/off button. Only when I unplug the AC power supply and plug it back then the lights will flash again on the first time.
-4. When I plug back both the battery and AC power supply,the green power light turn on for approximatly 1 second and the orange battery light indicator flash only for approximatly a half a second.But the vaio will still not power on.
These lights will not occur again when I press again on the on/off button. Only when I unplug the AC power supply AND the battery then plug both back then the lights will flash again on the first time.
------------------------------------------
After dozens of times trying to unplug and plug back the battery and/or AC power supply. The vaio seems to power ok I let windows start and close it when the start screen let me. I test this again with the power supply and/or battery still plugged and vaio still works ok. I thought this is finally solved BUT when I shutdown the vaio and unplugged the AC power supply and/or battery the problem reappears (vaio won't turn on and lights only flash a second or less) so I tried back the above things and manage to let the vaio works after dozens of tries.
-----------------------------------------
I think some hardware (motherboard?) in my vaio is not working ok. The problem shouldn't reside in the software.(I think but you never know)

Also I bought the vaio on 2/11/2005 (november the 2nd) so it's still in warranty.

----------------------------------------
Sorry for the long problem description don't want to miss anything important that i haven't tried to think about to solve this.

I already filed a case in esupport and will call them tommorow asap.
Does anyone happens to suffer also from this problem?
Does anyone know how to solve this?
Does anyone know if this is still valid in warranty?

thanks in advance,

Sierra

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Sorry Seirra, I have no solution to offer you but this, to me, certainly sounds as though you have a hardware problem that will need to be addressed by Sony Support.

This problem should be covered by your warranty, but support will almost certainly ask you to carry out a full system recovery before Sony will arrange a collection…:smileysad:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Sierra
Visitor

This is weird I wake up this morning with the intention to call e-supportt.
I tried to turn on the notebook. The first 2-3 tires it gave me the same problem.But after that the vaio worked again.
-Windows start up and so everything is ok
- I shut it down, unplugged the AC supply when battery was still plugged.
Push the power on button and everything work ok.
- I shut it down, unplugged battery then plug back AC power supply.
Push the power on button and everything work ok.
-I shut it down, unplugged AC power supply. then plug back battery AND AC supply. Push the power on button and everything work ok.

So everything seems to work ok. This is very weird.

What to do know?
If I call e-support now and tell them atm everything is working will they carry it back for free?

but what if the problem reappears at a later time like tonight or later.
But when they diagnose it ,everything thing work ok...

I don't know what to do now. I sincerely hope now the problemnever reappear agin but you knever know.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
update:

now my screen went blac again. but power lights are still on.
greetings,

Sierra