Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio G11 and Readyboost with Memory Stick

fyn
Visitor

Vaio G11 and Readyboost with Memory Stick

Hello,

I use the Vaio G11 with 1 GB RAM. The performance isn't very satisfying. Therefore I want to use the readyboost function. Better than a USB-stick, which looks ugly at the notebook's side, I want to use a memory stick for the built in cardreader. I have bought the Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo Highspeed 2GB. But the Vista test for readyboost says, it's not possible to have readyboost with this stick.

Has anybody experience with readyboost and memory sticks / flash CARDS on this notebook (G11)???

Or has anybody a hint, why it does'nt work or how I can make it working well???

I know, it would be better to enhance my RAM to 2 GB. But the Notebook-RAM is only extendible to 1,5 GB by changing one 512 MB Module to 1 GB Module. The other 512 MB Module is fixed sealed. I think, 1,5 GB isn't a big step compared to 1 GB. Changing to 2,5 GB is too expansible.

Are there general hints to accelerate the G11-performance? The most weak point in my opinion is the graphics power. But You have often delay times to any action.

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards
fyn

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi fyn and welcome to Club Vaio.

You may find THIS LINK useful - users have posted which Memory Stick devices are compatible with ReadyBoost.

You may wish to consider the extra memory - 1GB is a bit tight for Vista.

If you were looling for an Ultra Portable, Secure, Business Orientated and professional laptop - you have made a good choice. However, if you were looking for a high performance, gaming and multimedia laptop - you have bought the wrong model and no amount of upgrading will make it into one!

:wink:

fyn
Visitor

Hello Blencogo,

thank You for answering and the link. I had already visited this page before I bought the memory stick. There the stick (Sony Memory Stick ProDuo MagicGate MSX-M2GN) is tested as "ReadyBoost Compatible", but in my G11 it isn't so. Why? Perhaps there are any adjustments to do.

I have a quite good PC for daily working and on the way my Vaio G11. I'm no gamer and demand no ultrapower by the G11. Important and very good is the weight. But I have many points to criticize. Most disappointing is the accu power/time compared to the commercial "up to 9 hours"... and the "speed" and the sony-like bending of the keyboard. I think, especially for professional/business is the quality and power in spite of ultra-portability not satisfying.

Best Regards
fyn