Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO Hot keys not working following SP2 and VL Sony upgrades

Gally
Visitor

VAIO Hot keys not working following SP2 and VL Sony upgrades

Hi - I'd appreciate some suggestions - C:\utils\utils.exe did not resolve this and I dont want to go back to the recovery disk if possible. Below is the problem in detail:

I downloaded SP2 and my VGN-A197XP was working fine
I then downloaded the VL website SP downloads and am experiencing problems with HOTKEYs + DVD eject:
(1) can't turn brightness button OFF - it comes on when machine boots up
(2) vol up & down , magnify and S1 (hibernate) no longer work, although mute button does.
(3) can't eject DVD's

ENDS

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Make sure you have a link from the utils.exe in the startup folder on the start menu.

Gally
Visitor

Make sure you have a link from the utils.exe in the startup folder on the start menu.

Thanks Keelo, but running c:\utils\utils.exe has no effect. Having a link to c:\utils\utils.exe in my startup menu is even WORSE as it goes into a loop, shutting down to finish loading c:\utils\utils.exe, then loading them again as it boots up !

Does anyone out ther know how to re-activate my hot-keys?! I suspect I'll need to use the console or edit the registry:smileycry:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would re-download the utils from VAIO-Link.com

William
Visitor

As a last resort try uninstalling SP2 and try reinstalling again, this worked for me.

If there are any Sony updates that are recent (ie maybe for SP2) instal them post SP2 and the rest pre SP2 install.

Test hotkeys etc after each install to pinpoint problem update.

William

Gally
Visitor

As a last resort try uninstalling SP2 and try reinstalling again, this worked for me.

If there are any Sony updates that are recent (ie maybe for SP2) instal them post SP2 and the rest pre SP2 install.

Test hotkeys etc after each install to pinpoint problem update.

William

Thanks William - I thought the SP2 update was irrevocable. will look into uninstalling SP2 & re-installing as you suggest.

Keelo - FYI I tried c:\utils an dthose provided on the vaio site

Gally