Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Laptop fan noise?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
BrendanBlue
Visitor

Vaio Laptop fan noise?

Hello, I recently purchased a Sony Vaio VPCF12MOE Laptop and am really happy with it apart from the very loud fan noise I've noticed recently. Even now with only a webpage up the noise the laptop is making is tremendous. Apart from that I'm very happy with it and have had no other problems at all. Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Noise levels are, unfortunately, subjective and some seem to find the fan noise on the F-Series obtrusive and others seem to accept that modern, powerful notebooks generate more and more heat and require additional cooling to protect CPU, GPU etc.

If you find it annoying, all you can do if contact Sony Vaio Support and discuss if your Vaio is normal or not.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Noise levels are, unfortunately, subjective and some seem to find the fan noise on the F-Series obtrusive and others seem to accept that modern, powerful notebooks generate more and more heat and require additional cooling to protect CPU, GPU etc.

If you find it annoying, all you can do if contact Sony Vaio Support and discuss if your Vaio is normal or not.

:thinking:

BrendanBlue
Visitor

Thanks for your advice, the noise seems to have lessened now fortunatly so i guess it was a temporary thing. I'll be looking into additional ways to help cool down the laptop. I appreciate your help!

east_eden
Visitor

Hi

I am having the same issue of very noticable fan noise with my F series, and came on the forum to see if any one else had posted about this.

In every other way it is a lovely lap top and I really like the matt finish screen, which was welcome and unexpected.

This laptop was a gift for Christmas and I haven't noticed that the fan is getting any quieter.  I have been using it every day since the 25th.

While the fan sound is noticable, there seems to be another noise that is a high pitched whine (maybe the fan also).

I have just contacted Sony about the issue.  While I accept that computers with a high spec need cooling, I'm not quite sure why such a serious machine (i7 processor and upgraded memory) would work so hard to do something so seemingly simple like run a single web page.

In any case, I'll wait to see what Sony say.  It would be interesting to hear about the response other customers may have had from Sony.

Thanks

mark_b
Visitor

I have an E-series (i3) and the fan does seem to be on the whole time, even when there isn't much processing.  It's not so loud though, and there was a Bios update that promised "better fan control" which I have installed that may have helped a bit.

I think that other whine may be the hard disk, or some electrical noise from it creeping into the speaker circuits.  I've got something similar, and had on my previous laptop as well.  Muting the speakers in software doesn't seem to help.  My previous laptop (an HP) had a mute button above the keyboard that seemed to do the trick but that's not an option any more.

I haven't contacted Sony about it yet as it's not too annoying to me, I don't think there's anything that can be done without a fundamental redesigning of the hardware.

The F series has a 7400 rpm hard disk doesn't it?  My E series only has 5400 which might make it more or less annoying.

Regards,

Mark.

profile.country.ru_RU.title
senyto
Visitor

After system restore on VPC-F1290 and windows update, fan makes a lot of noise. Before an update there was almost no noise, but now it is hardly possible to work without air plugs. Noise is there even when system idle and rises slowly as it handles heavy calculations.

I'm far from US where my VAIO was purchased so can't use support.

Also nor BIOS update or VAIO Update solves the problem.

Is there any solution coming from Sony, to let customers use their product?

hiekegd
Visitor

Hi,

I have a VPCF12MOE Vaio and also seem to be getting a strange high pitched intermittent whine from what appears to be the fan. The noise reminds me of the ‘beeping’ sound a lorry makes when it reverses, although it sounds like it’s some way in the distance! Is this the same noise you are getting?

I've tried the mic temporary fix but this doesn't seem to have resolved the problem. I will be contacting Sony tomorrow about this.

BPH888
Visitor

I have the same issue on my F13.  Sony tech suggested disabling C3/C6 support in the BIOS  I tried searching on Google to find out exactly what this does.  No clear answers out there.  Seems it may disable  the turbo feature (why pay for an i7 without using this?) or removing some heat management feature (why risk damaging the CPU through excessive heat?).  Either way, I'm not willing to make the change until Sony explain what disabling the C3/C6 support actually does.

Like you, I cannot begin to undertand why a 1100 quid computer runs so loud.  I'm talking LOUD and continuously LOUD.

There's endless complaints about fan noise in the forums.  Thinking seriously about retuning the laptop within the 30 day cooling off period (hah, that's a funny pun)

east_eden
Visitor

Very LOUD indeed!  I've tried different CPU power setting via the control centre but to no benefit.  Frustrating times.

I'm still trying to get propper support from Sony customer support after I contacted them several weeks ago via email just after posting on this thread.  Struggling so much with the noise I've told them the machine is impossible to work with and I wanted a refund.

Would you believe that email only prompted an automated response? The support agent continues to respond to my initial email by directing me to download a BIOS  update (R0180Y9) and I was advised to disable CPU C3/C6 support.  However, I was  provided with no link in the email to the BIOS update and my VIAO update is not detecting any updates - BIOS or otherwise.

I found the BIOS update on the Sony India site but it said it was for the E series.  Tried to install it as directed but it won't install on the F series.  Sony don’t seem to accept this and assure me it is compatible with both – however they have still not sent a link to the BIOS...   

And can I just say - I'm not a technical person.  This is going above and beyond what Sony should expect from the average customer.   They are lucky that as a 30 something female I’m not the kind who claims to be useless at ‘that sort of thing’ because so many people I know would.

Anyway, I am also still really struggling with the high pitched whine that was described very well as a lorry reversing beep.  It is a really unnerving frequency.  So yes, I need ear plugs to work on this machine too and they were not included in the box.  The noise of the fan and the whine even drowns out DVD's when I try to use it for that - oh and of course playing anything in the drive makes the fan more vigorous and distracting.

I am out of my 30 day cooling off period (or the person who purchased it is).  Not good, not good at all. 

These machines are not inexpensive and I'm feeling a bit ripped off on behalf of the person who paid for the laptop.  I wanted to own a machine with longevity and thought it was worth requesting a very good processor and a good hard drive.    Maybe a little warning or note about the noise is fair before purchase?

I expected much better from Sony and certainly won't be recommending this notebook, which is a shame because in every other way it is lovely with a great key board, and much better looking than other comparable machines.  Really not impressed with customer support either.  What a shame as I was looking forward to using this machine in the New Year.  If only I had researched the F series on this forum before choosing and including on my Christmas list…

Message was edited by: east_eden

BPH888
Visitor

Of all the complaints about fan noise on this forum, I don't see one with a response from SONY.

Really sorry to hear of your problems east_eden.  I feel exactly the same.  How can you use a machinelike this for anything that requires quiet and concentration?  Come to that, how can you use it for watching videos?  The fan drowns out everything.

Come on SONY.  Solution please; and quickly, or  I will be calling you on Monday morning to request a refund.