Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Laptop fan noise?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
BrendanBlue
Visitor

Vaio Laptop fan noise?

Hello, I recently purchased a Sony Vaio VPCF12MOE Laptop and am really happy with it apart from the very loud fan noise I've noticed recently. Even now with only a webpage up the noise the laptop is making is tremendous. Apart from that I'm very happy with it and have had no other problems at all. Thanks for any help.

34 REPLIES 34
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi benboy22,

Thanks for posting your problem.  As this is a Forum for Users of Sony products, I don't expect we fellow Users can cure your complex problem so I have escalated your post to a contact within Sony and I expect Vaio Support will look at your problem again and be in touch.

I would not expect Intel to be able to offer any help as fans are not usually CPU brand related as cooling is customised to individual laptops/all-in-ones.  In your all-in-one Vaio you probably have several different fans to cool the casing and components so Vaio Support are your best bet for help with your fan noise.

I don't know about your model, but I have found that laptops usually make more fan noise when new.  I have always put this down to Windows Indexing the hard drive as the noise seems to settle down after a period.

Anyway, let's hope Vaio Support can come up with some constructive help.

:thinking:

benboy22
Visitor

Sony have been in touch today, and when a replacement is available, i have to send mine back first, then get the replacement, good news i guess, just have to take off everything i have installed on this one, and go through it all again, DOH!!!

I requested this, why cant they send the new one, i can boot it up, and if the fan is the same, then it can be sent back, simple solution, but oh no, cant be done the simple way, never mind, keep you informed of what happens.

Cheers

Gray

benboy22
Visitor

Ok, have got the replacement L22z1e, all in one, and Silence is golden, fan can hardly be heard, even with plenty running, hope it stays that way as the pc is awsome.

Thanks to sony customer care, great job of making sure all went sweet with delivery and collection of the duff unit.

Gray

profile.country.el_GR.title
klgeorge
Visitor

It is amazing that after a year and more there is no way to solve this noise problem from the fan that is on all the time.

At the same time an irritating whissle seems to come out of the hard drive.

It is a Vaio VPCF11S1E and THIS IS HOW I GOT IT FROM DAY ONE.

And now of course it is out of warranty too.

I have contacted them a long time ago but there was no feedback.

I also contacted the local resseler who didn 't care much either,

If I gave it to them for service, they esitmated 2-3 months to fix this.

Of course when I paid, they got my money right away- no problem with that-instantly!

A great way to sell malfunctioning products and get people off your back right away.

I had no time/alternative but to keep it in order to be able to continue with my work

Thanks to Sony Bad Quality of products, I still have to work on a (very obviously) over-priced bad quality Sony laptop.

Does anybody care at all?

Message was edited by: klgeorge

Message was edited by: klgeorge

meparaf
Visitor

I have the same problem with my VPC-SA4C. I work with many laptops on daily bases and never seen such a noisy cpu fan! I can leave it alone with no application running and every few minutes the fan steps up to crazy speeds in a matter of few seconds and then back down after a minute or so. I purchased it from sony-shop online and initially sent it back as soon as I tried it, but they contacted me saying that there was nothing wrong with it! I had its hardware configured with solid state drive, so couldn’t return it, otherwise I defiantly would! 

profile.country.GB.title
L_Brohard
New

I have the same issue. Horrible noise since I bought the laptop a little bit more than one year ago.

Unfortunately, I never took the time to contact the technical call centre (the problem is that they only open during working hours, when I work myself!! No evening or weekend)

1. Is there anything I can try, by myself, before having to take a half day off of holiday to call them ?

2. Once I call them do I get a chance to get it fixed ?

3. when you send it to the repair centre, do you have to remove or back up ALL your stuff ??

VPCF13C5E (at £1,500 it was supposed to be the TOP of its class when I buy it)

i7 / Q 740 @ 1.73Ghz

CPU clock frequency 1.73 GHz

System memory 8GB

Cache memory 1MB / 6MB

Bios R0190Y9

Windows 7

System type 64-bit OS

THANK YOU !

profile.country.de_DE.title
mrmarbury
Visitor

!!SOLVED!!

DISCLAIMER: The text describes what helped me to overcome this noisy fan. And I know what I'm doing. I do NOT take responsibility for your broken laptop! If you've never done such things and break the hardware, it's your fault alone! Go to somebody who knows how this works and let her/him do it! Thou hath been warned!! 

I don't know if this thread is still monitored. But I solved the noisy fan problem lately. It's easy but you will void the warranty (if you still have any)

Reason for the noisy fan is that Sony uses crap heatsink paste. Mine was rock hard and not even spread evenly.

I have the VPCF13Z8E, which I bought in early 2011. A real powerhouse and I always thought that it's normal that the thing is noisy as hell. Since I compile a lot of code and need all 8 logical cpu's most of the time I thought it's okay that the thing sounds like an airplane taking off and howling into the night ^^ And even when gaming this thing has been almost louder than the gaming sound from the speakers.

Normal temperature of my Vaio was around 60-70C when doing normal web surfing and around 90C when gaming or compiling. I had to put the GPU to power saving mode all the time to maybe get the fan a little less noisy. But even then I was just one flash content away from the noise hell break loose. This thing got so hot that even the handrest rubber mat started to peel away and I had to fix it with glue.

Anyway. One day I opened the case to check for dust in the fan (I do this with all my notebooks once a year) And I had the idea to renew the heatsink paste of the CPU and GPU.

Getting the heat pipes off was not easy but I got them off in the end with a little bit of pulling the fan up !!carefully!!

I then carefully!! scraped the biggest part of the hard paste away with a wooden toothpick. After that I used a little bit of PCB cleaning fluid on a paper cloth to carefully clean the CPU and GPU from the old paste until they where shiny again. (you can also use "Tuner Spray"). (Please NEVER EVER use "Contact Spray"for anything electronic. It will do no good to any electronics in the long run) Then I spread new heatsink paste evenly across the chips and reassembled everything. There are alot of youtube videos describing the process, just search for "laptop heatsink"

Voila, for the first time in 1.5 years this thing is quiet! Really quiet! Okay the fan is still on but it's barely noticable (even in a quiet room) and I even might be able to sleep next to it now. ^^

CPU and GPU have now temperatures of around 40-45C! And when gaming I barely get to 65C! Which is still low enough to not have the laptop fan take off again.

Dear Sony, pleeeeease use high quality heatsink material and not that rock hard crap I found in my computer. And since the laptop was really loud from the beginning I'm pretty sure the stuff you use is total crap. And pleeeeeease start listening to your customers*! 

(*)The girls and boys that pay for your house and car!

Cheers, Stefan

profile.country.ru_RU.title
mikaoo
Visitor

New SVE-1712E1R/W

in comparison with toshiba it is very loud.

At night awfully loudly!

bohurin
Explorer

You are a star mrmarbury!

My problem was also caused by the very poor heatsink paste Sony used in my F series. It was hard as rock, not conducting any heat. I purchased a good quality thermal paste on Ebay and followed this video on Youtube to replace it. My laptop is finally quiet, I can actually concentrate on work and my family members no longer complain about hearing a jet engine from behind closed door.

Uzzeey
Explorer

HI, my vaio heats up too much quickly within 2,3 minutes and shut down, anyone can help what shall i do? And it's not in warranty . :thinking: