Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio laptop - motherboard failed and no support - help!

profile.country.en_GB.title
rsdraig
Visitor

Vaio laptop - motherboard failed and no support - help!

Hi,

I purchased a Vaio VPCSA2C5E a year ago (£1,100).

A month ago the onboard power failed (not the first mechanical problem I've had - keyboard broken, external power supply broken, etc).

I took it to a repair centre and they confirmed this, said it was out of warranty, but that Sony wouldn't provide a replacement part!

I've tried emailing sony, but just get a reply saying that the support email isn't available as its down due to maintenance! I've tried to find out if the laptop is still under warranty via the website, but just get generic guarantee info - nothing that that I can use to figure out whether it is still in warranty, or what to do about it!

Now, am I supposed to use a £1,10 laptop that only worked for 11 months as a doorstop? Or will Sony actually be willing to do me the courtesy of acknowleding that I exist?

By the way, my company has been a 100% Dell customer for over 10 years, last year I decided to try another vendor and this is one of 3 laptops that I bought to see what the reliability, customer service and support was like - now I know. This is typed on my (very) old Dell E4300 that still works......

Can anyone advise whether I'm on a lost cause (i.e. Sony support doesn't exist and I just need to write-off my £1,100 and accept that I'm a sucker), or is there anything I can do to get the laptop back into service?

Regards,

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi rsdraig,

For the support options available to you (depending whether the notebook is in or out of warranty) follow this link, click Vaio and Computing and then enter your serial number.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/contacts

If you still have problems making contact then let us know and someone will escalate to Support.

Rich

Message was edited by: rich912

Missing link added.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
rsdraig
Visitor

I don't have the serial number to hand - the laptop is still at the repair centre and I don't have any record of the serial number for it - just quote numbers, order numbers, customer numbers, etc.

It'll be another couple of weeks before I physically have possession of it again, so I guess I just need to go and buy another (non-sony) laptop then!

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I think your only option is to call Support on the OOW number - from the UK the number is 0905 0310006.
If you registered your Vaio then the serial number should be in the database and they will hopefully be able to advise whether it is still in warranty.

If you have already commissioned a repair then I doubt that they will be sympathetic.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jembrey
New

Hello everyone with this problem. Same thing happened to us. 14 months laptop died, but! we figured out it was the battery on the motherboard, round 3 volt, pulled the battery out put right back in and GUESS WHAT! the unit fired right back up. We will probably hear from Sony but WHO CARES!  Best Buy wanted 300 bucks to fix the motherboard might have been okay if it had been the motherboard. Mighty expensive battery.