Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio p4 very high temperature

sergio_vaio
Visitor

Vaio p4 very high temperature

hello everybody,
I've never red my cpu temperature, cause there were no way in bios or neither tool from sony.
Now i've tried to use a shareware software... it tell me that my cpu start from a cpu temp of 65°C till a temp of 89°C when I use DVd or encode Divx...
It's a Problem?
The sony call center can't tell me nothing about this.... and NOWthey say me that the warranty last ONLY one year....
Wow...
Please help me...;(

6 REPLIES 6
Woody27
Visitor

Sergio,

What VAIO do you have?

What is the P4 clock speed?

What is the shareware program that reports the temperature?

It does seem a little high, but they can get very hot!:smileysad:

Have you checked the cooling vents, are they clogged with dust. This would affect the ability of the VAIO to cool itself efficiently!

CW

sergio_vaio
Visitor

sorry here's my features :
vaio pcg-grt715E
P4 2.66
the software is "Hardware sensors Monitor"
No such dust... I think...
It is possible I'm not able to check the cpu temperature or fan speed in bios?
The program above tells me onlu cpu temp and not fan speed...
I need to know if i have to send my vaio to sony or not...
thank u...

Woody27
Visitor

Sergio,

One of the problems with software such as this is that it uses hardware sensors, these are common on desktop but not so common on laptops (where conserving space and energy are the main design consideration).

Therefore, the program may not be reporting the temperature accurately.

It may be that there is dust inside the computer that is obstructing the cooling fins.

If it is still under warrenty maybe you should consider sending it back to Sony (does it shut down at all????)

The only other solution is to open her up!

Heres how to do it:

On the left hand side of the speaker grill is a small screw (near the Memory Stick slot). Undo this and remove the screw, slide the entire speaker grill to the left and VERY SLOWLY lift it upwards so that it rests against the screen (put something in between to avoid scratches).

TAKE CARE NOT TO DAMAGE AND/OR DISCONNECT THE VERY DELICATE RIBBON CABLES that connect this part to the rest of the computer.

With a compressed air cleaner CAREFULLY attempt to remove dust from the fan assembly and cooling grille assembly (a lot should come out).

Replace everything using the reverse of the above (remember to replace the little screw at the end) and everything should be fine again!

Hope this helps!

CW

sergio_vaio
Visitor

thank u very much.. i'll try...
so the pc doesn't turn off... but i have two problems:
sometime from since two months when i see dvd it block images when temperature comes up...
and with linux , after about five minutes i start up, i receive contunuatively messages from the system that temperature is too high...

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You need to download MobileMonitor if you want to measure tempretures in a VAIO.

See Nick_pan's guide on kee-lo.info

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Drat - I was going to mention that - beat me to it Kee-Lo LOL:smileygrin: :laughing: