Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio PCG-505E - battery problem

hvbean
Visitor

Vaio PCG-505E - battery problem

Apols in advance, this is about an olde road warrior - my Vaio PCG-505E notebook. Old it might be, but I still like it: it's stylish, small, lightweight, and rugged, *and* it still performs admirably well (thanks Sony!) Ok, it only has a Pentium 1 on 300 MHz, but that's no problem yet ('though I might opt for Gnu/Linux...)

Unfortunately, although the battery does appear to be charging (at least, the battery light double blinks), the notebook doesn't operate on battery alone.

Possible causes:
1. Most likely, the battery has reached the end of its life span. IOW, I need a replacement for the PCGA-BP51. Since Sony doesn't sell it anymore, the question is: which 3rd party battery will work well (and maybe even better)?
2. There might (also) be a problem with the battery charging electronics. While I do have a multimeter, I don't have a clue how to verify this. Maybe someone here can shed some light on this?

TIA!

Cheers,

Robert

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Welcome to the forum,
I visited a business near Richmond London that refills laptop batteries for about £100 but this was years ago and I have forgotton the name of it sorry. A google search wasn't very helpful but this may be the answer for you. Personally a Pentium one would drive me nuts. Grab a second hand Pentie 4 for about £250 or better still for around £700 a brand new sony lappie if you shop around.:smileywink:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Have a look HERE

They seem to have both a 2200 mAh for £51.50 or a 4400 mAh for £73.00 for the 505 Series - 6 Month Warranty

:wink:

hvbean
Visitor

Have a look HERE

They seem to have both a 2200 mAh for £51.50 or a 4400 mAh for £73.00 for the 505 Series - 6 Month Warranty

:wink:

Thanks Blenc! This is great, first company I've seen that actually offers warranty. (Unlike the cheap Hong Kong stuff on ebay...)

Re. Tony - a P-1 is nightmarish if you're doing large spreadsheets, but for "lightweight" stuff (eg. Word, or PPT,which I use mostly) it's quite doable. And I am running XP.

Cheers,

Robert